HELP! - I think I might have accidentally killed him!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Tytytytyler, Aug 2, 2011.

1. Tytytytyler

Tytytytyler Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2009
    My rooster was filling with air under his wings and around his thighs and my brother read up on some stuff and told me to try and massage it and see if it would make him burp it up saying that's what you do if there is air in the crop, but it wasn't in his crop. But I figured it couldn't hurt to massage him anyways. So I massaged it and then I looked and saw that the air was just moving into where his wattles attach to his face and stopping there. So then I tried to massage and and get it to go back down or come out or something but nothing is working! I think I made him feel worse! I shouldn't have tried to help.

I read to take a shot needle and poke him with it and that would get rid of the air. Is that what I need to do now? And what size needle? My dad wants to use a sewing needle but I think that might be too big! Oh my God. I don't want to feel like I killed him. Please, someone, tell me what to dooo. He's one of my new favorites.

2. robin416

robin416 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2007
    Quit messing with him. Watch to see if he's uncomfortable, if he's not leave him alone. The air will migrate back out on its own.

If he is uncomfortable you will need a large bore sterile needle, only insert the needle far enough to break the skin. Then set him down some place quiet and just watch him for a while.

3. hcppam

hcppam Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:good to know.

4. SilverFire5467

SilverFire5467 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 2, 2011
    CT
    I had a young hen with the same situation under her wing. Just wait and see if the air goes down on its own, if not just poke and relieve the pressure. Just stay calm, the more stressed you are over the bird the more he/she will stress too.

5. Tytytytyler

Apr 26, 2009
    Where would be the best place to stick the needle should it come to it? Under the wing, his thigh, his belly in the spot where it's squishy or what?

He's walking around, and drinking, but his face and throat is bloated now and I can't help but feel guilty. He even started violently shaking his head at one point and I thought he was having a seizure or something but it passed. I haven't done anything more but pet his back gently since I made the first post. He occasionally opens his mouth, I guess he's burping? He's moving around too good in my opinion to be having breathing problems, plus he is talking.

6. SilverFire5467

Aug 2, 2011
    CT
    Quote:Where there is the most air and the skin is thinnest. probably under the wing. Can you post pictures?

7. Tytytytyler

Apr 26, 2009
    I thought about taking pictures but he is a Silkie so even if I took pictures, you wouldn't be able to see where there's a bunch of air or anything. He still just looks like a pile of fluff. You really can't see a difference visually anyways right now since I moved the air around...which I still feel awful about.

Honestly, I wouldn't have known anything was wrong with him if I didn't pick him up every day to notice he didn't feel right.

8. SilverFire5467

Aug 2, 2011
    CT
  9. Tytytytyler

Apr 26, 2009
    All you have to do is prick the skin, right?

Like, just the tip of a needle, right?

10. SilverFire5467

Aug 2, 2011
    CT
    yup like popping a blister. dont try and put pressure to force the air out, just let it deflate on its own.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by