Help! I think I poisoned my hens!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by SHRIVERFARMGIRL, Feb 22, 2013.

1. SHRIVERFARMGIRL

SHRIVERFARMGIRL Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2012
    Akron IN
    Have been growing fodder for about a month and had great success. Until one batch just didnt want to grow. Stayed in the seed stage and only grew a scarce amount of greens but no root bed. It was kind of slimey when the 6th day was up to feed, I rinsed it off and had my son go ahead and feed it to the hens. The next day their egg laying dropped drastically from 14 to 3-5 and for the last 4 days it been the same way. They are all eating normally, acting normally but not laying. It was suggested the mold might have been Aspergillosis (white grey slim) What can be done and will they come out of it soon...have a call into the vet to see what he says. I am just not sure what it was and what to do.

Anybody ever had this happen? Any ideas......

I shouldnt have fed it to them....hindsight : 20/20 [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 22, 2013
  2. blondiebee181

blondiebee181 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2012
    Boise, ID
    Oh dear, I'm sorry to hear that...Anything that is molded or slimy I don't ever feed, just in case...If they seem to be acting okay I wouldn't over worry too much now....what I would do is put a little Apple Cider vinegar in their water (I'm sorry I'm not positive on proportions, but I'm sure you can find proper measurements in the forum search) and give them some probiotic, unsweetened yogurt or sour cream or kefir...all of this stuff will help their digestive tracts in case the there is a mold that might upset tummies...watch the poo also for this if it looks abnormal...I would hope that something like this will just pass through, but keep a sharp eye for anything abnormal, sorry I'm no expert, but I hope the vet can give you some good advice too. As to the laying, I'm not sure...sorry.Good luck!

3. SHRIVERFARMGIRL

SHRIVERFARMGIRL Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2012
    Akron IN
    Thanks for the good advise. I hadn't remembered those things! We use the vinegar in the summer time alot.

I have mixed some sour cream and some yogurt in with some sprouts for supper. Have to get some more apple cider vinegar and get them going on that for awhile. The Vet did say that they will recover but may take a few weeks...depending on how badly they take it. Will keep everyone up to date....and thank you again!!

Last edited: Feb 22, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by