Help! I think my 2.5 week old Turken is pecking all my other chickies

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by happytexasmom, May 15, 2009.

1. happytexasmom

happytexasmom New Egg

Apr 18, 2009
    Hi! I am really new... first batch of chicks ever. I have a 13 chicks (mixed brown egg layers---2 Turkens, 7 White Rocks, 3 Auracanas, and one Black Star). I was keeping them in an extra large, portable rabbit hutch and they were doing great. Yesterday, though, I came out to find 8 of my chicks had sores on their backs, tail feathers and a couple had them on their necks (bloody, raw and featherless). They were all pecking on each other. I took the injured chicks out and put four in a smaller animal hutch and the other four in another. They seem to be doing much better and are healing. BUT~ today I found two more chicks with sores on them and after observing them a while, saw one of my Turkens just pecking them every chance she got! Is this a permanent temperment issue with her? Isn't it too soon to have a chicken be so mean? Does she need to be culled? We separated her from the rest for a while this afternoon and when we reintroduced her, she went straight for the birds again to peck them! This just doesn't seem like normal behavior to me, but what do I know? That's why I'm askin y'all!

2. barnwife

barnwife Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2009
    central Texas
    This might just be a space issue, or a protein defficiency.

Chickens peck fr loads of reasons...personality among them.

I would try feeding some plain yogurt mixed with their starter feed to make sure their protein levels are fine. Also add about 3 tsp per quart of apple cider vinegar to help with healing and internal stuff.

Sometimes chickens get bored, cramped, or just plain mean. Maybe you have a roo turken on accident?

Turkens, by the way, usually lay tinted eggs...

good luck on your chickens!!

3. ~*Sweet Cheeks*~

~*Sweet Cheeks*~ Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Medford, Oregon
    Are you using a red heat lamp? If not get one. It calms the chicks.

Provide enough space for the chicks so they aren't crowded.

Give the chicks something to do - different sized roosts, hang a mirror, and/or baby toys, sprinkle scratch and/or starter to give them something to scratch, put in hunks of sod for them to scrach at.

Good luck with your little ones.

4. happytexasmom

happytexasmom New Egg

Apr 18, 2009
    Thanks for the tips! I didn't know the chicks needed anything but chick starter. Also, I haven't used a red light and haven't used any light for a few days, because I live in Houston and it has been really warm here. I thought they only needed lamps if it was too cold. Maybe they need the light, too? Do I need to keep her separate from the others while they all heal?

5. Brick243

Brick243 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2008
    Southeast Oklahoma
    You need to seperate them while they heal. They heal pretty fast. Spray the wound with Blue-Kote antiseptic. Be sure to wear plastic gloves, it will stain your fingers.

6. barnwife

barnwife Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2009
    central Texas
    Do not forget some grit or oyster shell for your chicks...it is their "teeth" for grinding their food in their crop before it can pass any further in their bodies.

The yogurt mix is EXCELLENT for chicks, and they will gobble it up. Makje sure the yugurt is the non-flavoerd, non sweetened type.

another thing chicks LOVE to bits...mashed boiled eggs.

When chickens are left to their own devices, grains are about 30% of their diet. The rest is greens, proteins, and anything else they can find. If you have any type of compost pile, that will be their FAVORITE spot to hang out and eat.

My chickens dig under newly-vacated hay piles and stick close to the tractor when we turn the manure pile. We have found several snake nests and MAYBE one or two escape out of dozens of baby snakes...the chickens gobble them up like there's no tomorrow!!

The better the chicken's diet, the healthier the chickens. Same as with us.

They will LOVE the "extras" you can give em from meal leftovers from your own plates.

Enjoy your chickens and , if you sit back and watch them sometimes, you will start noticing these little details, too.

Raising chickens is a very satisfying thing. Congrats

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by