Help! I think my buff orpington pullet might be a roo

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ithinkihavearoo, Jul 25, 2014.

1. ithinkihavearoo

ithinkihavearoo New Egg

Jul 25, 2014
    [​IMG]

I am new to chickens and have a mixed flock of birds that are about 14 weeks old. My daughter says that she heard the buff orpington crowing earlier today. Looking at pictures of other orpingtons, I am concerned that its comb is awfully large and that my dear pullet may be a cockerel. Any thoughts? Should I start making a re-homing plan? (I live within the city limits.)

2. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    You are correct. Your Buff Orpington is a rooster. Sorry.

3. ithinkihavearoo

ithinkihavearoo New Egg

Jul 25, 2014
    Are you absolutely sure? I'm so sad. Such a sweet bird, but I have had suspicions for a few weeks. I appreciate your help!

4. Basskids08

Basskids08 Chick Logging

X2, there is no doubt that is a cockerel! So sorry :(

5. Hershy

Hershy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2014
    Salem, OR

Yep, looks just like mine who is 13 weeks. Still a very well behaved boy though, I brought food into the run yesterday and he came right up and blocked my way, and for a moment I worried that he was going all psycho roo on me, but he just wanted the treats I had! The BO's are our favs.
    Just saw the bit about yours crowing, mine is also crowing at this age.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2014
  6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

I agree you have a cockerel there. I'd start looking for a home for him asap.

7. ithinkihavearoo

ithinkihavearoo New Egg

Jul 25, 2014
    Thank you all for your help! Maude (now named Harold) will be going to his new farm home later this week.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by