Help! I think my button quail eggs are hatching and I'm not sure what to do...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Jackeltree, Apr 20, 2012.

1. Jackeltree

Jackeltree Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2012
    This is my second attempt at hatching button quail eggs. The first time was several years ago and nothing happened at all. This time I've been very good at watching the temp and humidity etc. and I think they are hatching early! It's day 14 (when they hatch under their mom), and the instructions I read online said to stop turning after day 14 and expect them to hatch between days 16-21 if in an incubator (still air). I turned them last night and then this morning I turned them all and then the last egg I turned I notice a dent and crack. I thought it might be hatching so I turned all of the other eggs back over (I didn't want to mess up their positioning) and watched the egg with the dent all morning. Now, 4 hours later, nothing else has happened with that dented egg that I can see. So I inspected four more eggs and noticed that they are all cracked on the bottom. I set them down in their original spots and sprayed them with water to keep the humidity up.

My question is...did turning them up until I noticed them cracking and then turning and handling after cracking mess them up? Will they be able to hatch ok? I know it can take all day, but I'm worried. Is there something I should do? Most of the eggs seem to be cracked on the bottom against the floor...is this ok? Should they be cracking on the top? Should I turn them over so the crack is facing up? As you can tell I'm like a frantic father trying to get his laboring wife to the hospital...lol.

Thanks so much for any advice.

-Crystal

2. Jackeltree

Jackeltree Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2012
    Still no change...all eggs have small cracks.....will they ever hatch? I sure hope so. :-\

3. Wyogirl

Wyogirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2010
    Cody, WY
    They will hatch! I jsut hatched some on Monday they are so small!! It took forever from pip to hatch but once they started it was quick
    Ayda
    Good Luck

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by