HELP i think my chicken is coughing to death

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by cassandra7022, Sep 15, 2009.

1. cassandra7022

cassandra7022 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 14, 2009
    Hamburg, IL
  2. cassandra7022

Sep 14, 2009
    Hamburg, IL
  3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

The link didn't work, but in four years of having chickens, not one has ever coughed. I don't even know what that would sound like. It's a serious thing. If it's not gapeworm, which attaches to the throat and grows, causing the bird to cough and gag, then it's probably a virus. The ones that cause the bird to cough are usually serious, make the bird a carrier for life, and here, we have a no-treatment policy to keep the health of our flock intact.
    More information is needed to help you. Did you just buy this bird? Did you bring in other birds and expose this bird to the new ones? What other symptoms? How old is she? Etc, etc. You said you have heard one cough before....a different bird?

4. cassandra7022

Sep 14, 2009
    Hamburg, IL
    she is a silver polish and she is only about 14 months old. i caught her just a few minutes ago and it almost feels like she has something caught in her throat. she is still doing this now for about 4 hours and i am concerned. i got these chickens from murray mcmurray hatcheries about 14 months ago. they all have been fine til now.
    If you could go to photobucket and type in my name cassandra7022 you might be able to find the video.
    i appreciate your help
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 15, 2009
  5. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Could she be choking? Can you open her beak and take a look inside? Good luck!

6. speckledhen

You're going to have to look down her throat. Wedge a pencil sideways across it and look with a flashlight. You will need a second person for that, I'd bet. When you do that, if you see a red "Y" on the side of her throat, that would be gapeworm. If not, tell us what you do see.

7. Chicky Tocks

Chicky Tocks [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2666.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Ru

Oct 20, 2008
    Benton, Arkansas
    Sounds like she has something stuck in her throat. Speckledhen is onto the biggest reason for coughing like that. She should be roosted soon and it will be easier for you to grab her and take a look down her goozle.

8. cassandra7022

Sep 14, 2009
    Hamburg, IL
    thank you for the info. i just went out and checked on them and to close them up for the night. she didnt seem to be coughing at this time. I am here by myself now since my husband passed away in April, so I don't have anyone who can help me.
    I will try in the morning when i can see better and see if i can see anything in her throat (if she makes it through the night). hopefully i can get a better perspective.
    I let them free-range in the early evening, and i have seen a few of them when they are eating and it is like they couldn't swallow the piece of grass or whatever they were eating and would cough a bit, but it didn't last long.
    i have just recently added 10 new babies to the flock and when they were small i fed them the medicated feed, but i don't give that to them anymore. they eat what the big chickens eat. I hatched these 10 babies myself

9. allison finch

allison finch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2009
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Two days ago I found a huge nest of crickets. I caught at least a hundred or so and put them in the coop. It was like a shark feeding frenzy. One hen got a bunch of them. Later, she started making that same noise. I was concerned that she had eaten too many and had one lodged in her throat. She seemed to be OK the next day. Then, when I fed a bunch of shredded cheese, she did it again. It seemed linked to gluttony and treats. I will check the next time she eats a lot. She seems fine an hour or so after the treats "settle".

Did yours just eat a lot?

10. speckledhen

I'm so sorry to hear about your husband, cassandra. If you see nothing in her throat, then, if there is any way you can use a syringe and give her some veg oil down her throat or an eye dropper, or even soak a small piece of white bread in oil and see if she will eat that, maybe it will ease something down her throat if there is indeed something stuck in there.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by