1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

HELP!!, I think my chicken might be egg-bound!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Animals970, Feb 20, 2014.

1. Animals970

Animals970 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2012
    Ok, about 2 weeks ago, my chicken started limping. I didn't think much about it 'cause my chickens get their feet slightly cut every now and then and they make a big deal about it and limp. But she kept on limping and limping, so I called my neighbor up (she used to be a vet-assistant) and she couldn't find anything wrong with her except that her right leg had simply NO tension. It was almost like she had tore a muscle or something.

I just gave it some time since I knew she didn't have a broken leg or anything. Now she is just lying around on her belly or side and is not eating or drinking. I don't know what is wrong, please HELP!!!!

She is a RSL Hen, about 3-4 years old. And to re-cap, here are her symptoms...

-Weak
    -Can't Walk
    -Doesn't eat or drink
    -Lies around
    -Pale-ish Comb and Wattles

And since she is lying around, she has poop sticking to her butt, I can tell she's really uncomfortable D:

PLEASE HELP!!!!

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Those aren't symptoms of egg binding.

It could be botulism.
    Separate her and get some cool water into her crop a few times a day. You could try a flush with Epsom salts or molasses.

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I don't think she would be alive if she was egg bound. Did she have a Mareks vaccine? Mareks can cause limping, weakness in legs or wings, and lying around. If you stand her up, does she fall over or become unbalanced? Other possible causes are mycoplasma synoviae or viral arthritis (tenosynovitis.) How do her poops look? Does she mites or lice? Any swelling in her legs? Check her breast for a blister. You can always do a vent exam with a rubber glove and lubricant to check for egg binding. Here are 3 links to read:
    http://extension.unh.edu/resources/files/Resource000791_Rep813.pdf
    http://www.thepoultrysite.com/diseaseinfo/99/mycoplasma-synoviae-infection-ms-infectious-synovitis
    http://www.thepoultrysite.com/diseaseinfo/164/viral-arthritis

4. Animals970

Dec 14, 2012
    Ok, Thanks.

What is her chance of survival?

Also, can people get Botulism?

5. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Botulism is food poisoning so people can and do get botulism.
    It's from eating something that contains clostridium botulinum, a soil borne bacteria that is quite common. It multiplies in warm moist decaying vegetable or animal matter, like bedding or wet feed.

6. Animals970

Dec 14, 2012
    Yes, she kinda just falls over when I stand her back up. And no, she hasn't had a Marek's Vaccine. How exactly should I treat her botulism?

7. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    "~~Separate her and get some cool water into her crop a few times a day. You could try a flush with Epsom salts or molasses."

If you think the bedding is infected, clean out the coop and disinfect with a iodine based disinfectant.

She's most likely to old for it to be Marek's.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2014
  8. Animals970

Dec 14, 2012
    That is true, mostly 5 month old chickens get Marek's, don't they? I know, I read your post. But, how should I get it into her. Should I just let her drink it herself, or, should I syringe feed her?

9. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    syringe
    If she's not drinking that's the only way.

They won't drink the Epsom salts of their own accord anyway. Those two things absorb the toxins.

For a single bird the Epsom salts is the best bet. 1 teaspoon per 1/2 cup water squirted down the throat twice a day for 2 or 3 days or till it recovers.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2014
  10. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would doubt it being botulism since the chicken has been limping for over 2 weeks. Usually with botulism, there needs to be a history of eating rotting vegetation, maggot, or an animal or fish carcass. The paralysis is in both legs, then progressing to the wings, and then the neck, so the neck rests on the floor. It kills very quickly with just a pin-head size of the toxin, and if they live for 2 days, they usually recover. Here is a link on botulism:
    http://www.thepoultrysite.com/diseaseinfo/19/botulism
    http://www.avianweb.com/botulism.html

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by