Help! I think my frizzled hen has a skin disease.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Detail2107, Sep 4, 2008.

1. Detail2107

Detail2107 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 4, 2008
    Recently my young Frizzled Cochin bantam hen has been acting very week but not lethargic. It seems her muscles might be in slight pain. I separated her from the flock thinking that she might have hurt her leg somehow, because she was slightly limping. Well, I gave her a bath today, thinking this might help, since it doesn't look like she's improving and she has several large boils all over her body. They look like very large pimples, but I can see that one of them burst and it is now hard. It also looks like there is an infection in them. I have absolutely no idea what this is or if it is infectious. I googled her symptoms and I am thinking that it might be the Avian Pox, but I still have no idea. I live in Arizona, but the mosquitoes have been really bad due to the heavy rain lately. If it will help I will take pictures of her. Does anyone have any idea what this could be and what I should do? I am a student so I don't have all the money in the world right now to take her to an exotic vet. I just need some advice.

2. needmorechickens!

needmorechickens! Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2008
    West TN
    Oh goodness, poor girl! [​IMG] I can't help but wanted to say good luck with her. :aww
    ~Rebecca

3. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    can chickens get ant bites?...poor thing!...wish i could help ya!..heres a bump..Wendy

4. Godsgrl

Godsgrl Ostrich wrangler

Aug 27, 2007
    at the zoo usually
    I live in Arizona, but the mosquitoes have been really bad due to the heavy rain lately

I'm sorry about your hen, I hope she improves. You are the first person to admit there are mosquitos in Arizona! My mom lives there and insists there are no mosquitos. A lot of people have told me that. I never really believed them.

<---mosquito magnet

Last edited: Sep 4, 2008
  5. Barnyard

Barnyard Addicted to Quack

Aug 5, 2007
    Southwest Georgia
    Pictures will help us try and help you [​IMG]
    If you can get your hands on some antibotics I would start her on them now. Terramycin is pretty cheap, like $4 dollars at Tractor supply or your local feed and seed. Also electrolytes wouldn't hurt.
    Do you think it might be a feather that has gotten ingrown? That might be something to look at. I have a hen that tends to get those and they swell up and look all red and nasty. I hope this helps alittle...... Goodluck and keep us posted!

6. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    Wow Its good that you separated her from the flock. I hope she gets better. Keep an eye on her to see if her movements get progressively worse, for this could be a symptom of a more serious disease. I hope you can find out whats wrong with her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by