Help, I think my girls inhaled too much smoke

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by babygirl76, Oct 28, 2011.

1. babygirl76

babygirl76 New Egg

Sep 14, 2011
    I was trying to be a good owner and keep my ladies warm, and bought a heat light (like the heat lamps you use to keep chicks warm in the stores) anyways I almost started a fire, I went out to check on everyone to muck sure they were all in bed and I had burned a hole the size of a mini basketball right through one of the doors there was so much smoke and now two of my girls sound like she is sneezing and having a hard time breathing? I took them all out of their house and put them in the garage, but is there anything I can do to help, is it a cold or did she inhale too much smoke?
    Thank you very worried

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC. Most likely it's from smoke inhalation. Since they are chicks, the smoke probably irritated their lungs and they continue to have respiratory breathing problems. Maybe there isnt any permanent damage. Give it time, keep them in fresh air for the time being and their lungs should hopefully heal.

3. UrbanFarmerGreg

UrbanFarmerGreg Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2011
    I'd say most likely their lungs are just irratated... lots of fresh air should work fine. By the sounds of it you are lucky you didn't start a fire...

4. groundpecker

groundpecker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2011
    Rison, Arkansas
    Your birds should be fine after a couple days. On another note, there should be no need to put a heat lamp on them, unless they are still very young. I have read in this forum of chickens
    surviving even in alaska without a heating source. I hope your birds get well soon.

5. babygirl76

babygirl76 New Egg

Sep 14, 2011
    Thank you for all your help, so living in Utah should not require a heat lamp? I am very grateful I didn't start a fire, I stayed up listening to a baby radio and checking on them all night.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by