Help, I think my hen may be backed up. *UPDATE* We Got an EGG!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Msbear, Jun 10, 2008.

1. Msbear

Msbear Fancy Banties

May 8, 2008
    Sharpsburg, MD.
    I got her a couple weeks ago and she was laying fine. She stopped when I got her home. I assumed it was just the move or something.

This morning she started back up to the coop and the rooster and other hens are all upset and calling back and forth. I cooped everyone up to settle them down. The hen went into her box and I left her alone for a couple hours. I went out expecting to find an egg and she is in there panting real bad and her wing is all stretched out.

The other chickens are fine. They have water and it doesn't feel really hot in there. Could she be backed up or have an egg stuck??? Is there something I should do???

UPDATE: She came out a squaking and drinking lots of water. Sgt. Pepper is happy to. He's just a crowing away:)
    I have plenty of ventalation in the coop but it's small with a metal roof. I think I'll move it in the shade tonight.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2008
  2. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    It can take several weeks for a hen to overcome the stress of being moved.

It does sound like she was too hot while on the nest box if she was panting.

3. Msbear

Msbear Fancy Banties

May 8, 2008
    Sharpsburg, MD.
    I just went out and let them out and she ran under the peonies bushes. maybe she'll lay in there. Thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by