Help- I think my hen may be egg bound

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Aban, Dec 22, 2013.

1. Aban

Aban Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2013
    Pensacola Florida
    This is our only hen, the rest ended up to be roosters. This is her first egg. She was doing good and I was making sure she was getting plenty of water. Then all of a sudden something scared her and she got up and left her nest. She is not acting funny, she is eating and walking around OK. But I am worried that the egg may not come out now. Is this something I should be worried about? It has been about 45 min since she left the nest. We have a bad storm moving in and then a cold front after the storm. It is suppose to be very cold before morning. I can not bring her into the house due to our ac unit having humidity control on it. (we lost several babies before someone told us that the humidity control was probably our problem-we immediately moved them outside and have no other problems until now. Does anyone have any words of advice? I have read several different things, but I am not sure if I might just be over worrying about her. I was told that I am, because they naturally know what to do and I should not worry...to late! Please tell me if there is something I should be doing for her?

2. Joshua G

Joshua G Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2013
    Hixson, TN
    She should be fine, my hens go in and out of the nest without laying eggs all the time.
    If she is egg bound she will tend to walk around looking bow-legged,sometimes puffed up,and lethargic.
    If she is eating and drinking and not mopey then she's okay.

3. Aban

Dec 22, 2013
    Pensacola Florida
    how would I know if she is "walking bow legged"?

4. emmaie892000

emmaie892000 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2013
    Marion, NC
    They walk sorta like penguins or otherwise different than normal.

5. Aban

Dec 22, 2013
    Pensacola Florida
    i cant really tell, she is eating this morning, but she is taking some time just standing there being still. I cant really tell if she is walking funny, so how long should i give her before I start intervening? She does seem a lil puffed up this morning, but it is raining and very cold, I am worried to put her in the coop and shut the door cause all the rest of the boys will be stuck out in the weather.Do you think it would hurt the boys to put her in the coop so nothing bothers her. We have her, a tom, a Japanese black tail rooster, a frizzle rooster (who are all the same age) and then we have 2 babies that are a few months old (a Cochin and a silkly-we think they are roosters too). The frizzle keeps "checking on" her every time she gets really still. Again, I am worried over the time-She was not happy with me trying to bring her inside yesterday evening, she really freaked out on me...

6. emmaie892000

Jul 4, 2013
    Marion, NC
    Well if you do think she is eggbound, you can check by holding her gently and finding her vent. If she seems swollen around the vent or you can actually see the egg in the vent, she might need help.

7. emmaie892000

Jul 4, 2013
    Marion, NC
    And no, it wouldn't be bad for the boys, just unpleasant.

8. Aban

Dec 22, 2013
    Pensacola Florida
    ok, she is walking funny...i think, I can not see an egg. and she keeps freaking out when I pick her up. she normally dont really panic or anything. she normally just dont mind and dont really fuss. so do you think it is best to put her in the coop and leave the boys out for today?

9. emmaie892000

Jul 4, 2013
    Marion, NC
    Yes, I would give her some time alone....Check on her often though, and definitely feel for weird bumps. Best of luck! [​IMG]

10. emmaie892000

Jul 4, 2013
    Marion, NC
    Update?! How is she now?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by