Help. I think my hen might be suffering from egg binding

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by coyotesmommy, Oct 7, 2011.

1. coyotesmommy

coyotesmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2011
    I have 3 hens, 2 are laying . One is still not but she was laying in the nest box before at least one of the others. I picked her up and felt her abdomin and it was swollen compared to the others. Is there something I can do? Like soak her hinie in warm water feed her castor oil?

2. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    you can try that...you can also post this under the Emergencies thread and see what other answers you get. But from what I have read, warm water baths and olive/castor oil may help

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    She could just be practicing to lay her fist egg. How is her abdomen swollen? Can you feel an egg in her? Does she seem to be straining?

4. coyotesmommy

Jun 13, 2011
    She does not seem to be straining, but her abnomin is more swollen than the other hens, and I felt a lump on the lower right side but I don't know for sure what it was. She is a small hen, so I hope that is not why she is having problems

5. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Just watch her, but she's probably fine. She's eating/drinking normally? Acting normal?

6. coyotesmommy

Jun 13, 2011
    yes, she is acting pretty normal, maybe they are right and she is just practicing, wants to be like her sisters.
    thanks

7. coyotesmommy

Jun 13, 2011
    Quote:I thnk I will try that tonight, if she still has not laid her first egg..... who doesnt like a nice hot batch [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by