Help I think one of my young hens has broke her leg

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Sadiew, Jun 26, 2011.

1. Sadiew

Sadiew Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    Spain
    One of my young hens was chased out of coop and slipped down the ramp and I think she may have broken her leg she is approx 16 weeks old, she is hobbling around and if she tries to put weight on it she is falling over to the side what can I do, I am still fairly new to keeping Chickens and ducks help please, here vets are not very sympathetic to hens etc they would just go to local farmer and I do not want to do that any ideas what I can do?

Last edited: Jun 26, 2011
  2. AKsmama

AKsmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    South Carolina
    I had a pullet with a fractured leg back in October. We isolated her in a large dog kennel and kept her there for about 4 weeks while it healed. It healed on its own, and she is in the coop at this very moment with two pipping eggs underneath her. But, it really depends on how bad the break is. You may need to splint it. For sure I would get her isolated if I were you- the other chickens are going to start picking on her.

You may want to ask a mod to move this post to the "Emergencies and Injuries" section of the forum. You'll probably get more replies faster there.

3. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    There is a link on my signature that may help. It has a ton of info on foot/leg injuries with pics. Good luck. [​IMG]

4. Aria

Aria Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    We had one chick that was just using one leg and dragging the other. We taped both legs together and the strong leg helped with the week one. She was very slow but was always in a different place when we saw her so she did get around.

We left the tape on for 4 days, removed it and she is using both legs. Moves slower than the other chicks....but does get around fine. We used a heavy about 2 inch tape my son used when he had a sport school injury.

She is a bearded Silkie Chick and had a lot of hair on her legs. There were two "screams" when we removed the tape. After that all fine. Regards, Aria

5. Sadiew

May 15, 2011
    Spain
    Thank you all for replies, I found the emergencies and injuries after I had posted this was just upset over hen at time and just posted here. I tried putting a splint on but she seemed in more pain with it and could not move at all on it then and her foot was starting to turn under with it on so I have removed it for now and have her secured in nesting box for tonight and will get her in an other box on her own in morning. Such a worry I hate to see any bird/chick/animal hurt.

6. yinzerchick

yinzerchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2011
    E.Texas
    A few weeks ago I stepped on one of my girls feet. (They crowd me when I go in the yard, and I didn't see her) It was swelled up and even bruised. She was hobbling pretty bad so I brought her in the house, put her in a comfy "hospital" bin with food, water, pine shavings and treats. I left her in there for a couple days. I started taking her out in the yard (my house yard) and letting her move around a bit. As it got a little better, I put her out with the other chickens during the day and brought her back in at night. I didn't want her trying to jump up on the roosts and hurting it more. Within about 10-14 days she was all better, can't even see a limp anymore. That's what I would suggest anyway. It worked for me and I hope it helps you and your girl.
    [​IMG]

7. Sadiew

May 15, 2011
    Spain
    Thank you, I am so glad your girl is all well again that is good news. Yes I think you are right and will bring her home with me in morning and give her some tlc and time to heal and hope it works.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by