Help! I think one or more are eating eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by milezone, Nov 7, 2011.

1. milezone

milezone Out Of The Brooder

Feb 3, 2011
    SW Kentucky
    Hi Guys,

Ok for the first year we have been having awesome results. 7 - 8 eggs a day from 10 hens (1 rooster). But lately I have noticed smaller batches, and yesterday 1 egg only. Yesterday was the first time I actually caught 3 chickens in the coop fighting over a broken egg, and eating it. I chased the one down that had the egg in his mouth all over the yard, hoping maybe to scare him not to do that???

Any ideas, I have no idea who it is as we have all Buff Orp's and they all look about the same. :)

Russ

2. johnsons-r-us

johnsons-r-us Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2011
    Eudora, Kansas
    Are the there no signs of any egg at all. Just that you get less? Maybe it's just that time of year where they have slowed? [​IMG] Could that egg have been broken already? I know, it's hard to say and you've probably thought of those questions yourself. I just wonder if there would signs of yokes of something left behing if they had been eating them. Do they free range? Maybe laying somewhere new?

Last edited: Nov 7, 2011
  3. milezone

milezone Out Of The Brooder

Feb 3, 2011
    SW Kentucky
    Yes we do let them run around on weekends, and during week when we can. No sign of eggs at all other than the one I caught them fighting over the other day. But other than that no yolk mess in coop at all.

Maybe they are laying elsewhere? I cant imagine something getting to them as we seal up coop at night.

Russ

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by