Help! I think she is dying

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Chicky_Baby, Jun 27, 2011.

1. Chicky_Baby

Chicky_Baby Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2011
    My hen is lying on her side in the straw and while she will lift her head occasionally if disturbed that is all she does. Do you have any ideas as to what I can do for her? The others are fine and I see no signs of injury. I don't know what to do for her. Has anyone seen them do this and get better. She is just so limp and looks like a rag tossed in the corner.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2011
  2. tammye

tammye Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    NH
    is she over heated? any signs of a respiratory issue, sneezes, nasal discharge, coughing ect...
    I would at least separate her from the others they will peck at her if she is sick and could eat her in the process. try to give her some electroylte solution to give her a boost, make sure she is drinking and eating, does not sound good but you never know. i wish you luck

3. Chicky_Baby

Apr 23, 2011
    I did put her in a box in the basement and gave her pedialite (baby version of gatorade) because hubby has the baby's car seat with him and I am stuck here and had to improvise but so far nothing to report except that she is drinking the pedialite. She is just as listless as before so I have no idea if it is helping but no nasal / breathing issues and I do not think her crop is impacted as she feels just like the others in that area. This is not a friendly hen so it has to be bad if she keeps letting me pick her up and touch her without trying to peck me. I don't think it was an over heating issue and nothing has changed with their feed. The only thing I can come up with that is different was that I lost my balance while closing the door to their house last night and almost fell on a chicken which might have been her (they all look pretty much alike). I remember reading somewhere that you can scare a chicken and send it into shock. Could that be it? If so shouldn't she be better now (or dead) as it is over 12 hours since it happened. I can accept if I lose one chicken so shock would be better than a disease that might take the entire flock but if that is all it takes to kill a chicken I do not understand how they survive at all. I really feel helpless here and wish I knew something to do for her.

4. Chicky_Baby

Apr 23, 2011
    Well that is it, I went down to check on her and she is gone. I would appreciate it if anyone has any ideas why this happened.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by