1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

HELP!!! I think something is wrong???

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by katelk, Jul 24, 2013.

1. katelk

katelk Songster

May 6, 2013
    White Bluff, TN
    I currently have 5 orp chicks in a brooder that are 5 weeks old. Everything has been going smoothly and everyone has looked perfectly normal and healthy until yesterday I noticed that one chick, who has always been the smallest, seemed to be having issues with BOTH legs. It was like her "knees" were bending backwards almost, causing her legs to straighten out at times making it difficult for her to walk. I have been watching her like a hawk since and am noticing. It more and more. She has not been roosting and often when she bends over to eat or drink one of her legs will straighten up under her and she will sink into that side. She is keeping her feet under her though, it is just her knee joint. What is this and what should I do?! Why is it just now happening and should I isolate her for any reason??
    Thank you!!!

2. katelk

katelk Songster

May 6, 2013
    White Bluff, TN
    Could this be MAREK'S and what should I do?? I am kinda freaking out. If more info is needed for someone to give advice please say so. Thank you!

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Free Ranging Premium Member 7 Years

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
  4. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Crowing 5 Years

Jul 24, 2013
    I think that this is a little young for Marek's Disease. Is it possible that the leg's joint/leg is injured? A vitamin B deficiency is also a possibility, so I'd start her on some vitamins. At this point, I don't think any isolation is needed.

5. katelk

katelk Songster

May 6, 2013
    White Bluff, TN
    Ok a possible vitamin deficiency is a relief, as I am new to this and was imagining the worst! I don't think there is an injury. I have examined her legs several times wondering just that, but they seem just fine, plus it is the same scenario with both legs.
    It is just her main joint on both her legs seems to be functioning a bit like a wet noodle at the moment. She is still eating and drinking and walking around, it is just clearly wobbly and difficult. All the other chicks can run circles around her. I will be pickig up some Poly-Vi-Sol (no iron) immediately.
    How many drops in her beak should I give how often?
    How soon should she begin to recover if this is a vitamin deficiency?

Thank you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: