Help! I think the feed store sold me scratch instead of feed- no tag on bag and manufacturer won't c

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by dlamis, Oct 15, 2013.

1. dlamis

dlamis New Egg

Mar 26, 2013
    [​IMG]

I bought my first bag of organic feed at my local Pet Club (the sign said Organic Feed and the bag says Organic Feeds). The feed is NatureSmart Organic made by Cargill. It looked like scratch to me but it was my first new brand after only using the same brand of feed. Our egg production has slowed down and the hens don't eat as much. I called the company who said there should be a tag attached to the bag (there isn't) and said they would have someone call me back (after a week, no one has).

So, before I march into the store, I need to know- does the above photo look like feed or scratch? I like the prices of this pet store but the young employees aren't very knowledgeable.

Thank you!!

2. BorneHomestead

BorneHomestead Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2013
    looks like scratch grains. how old are your chickens?

3. dlamis

dlamis New Egg

Mar 26, 2013
    Thank you for the reply! They are 10 months old.

4. BorneHomestead

BorneHomestead Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2013
    Since they are old enough to lay, you should be asking them for layer pellets. That should stop an confusion on the clerks part for what you are looking for.

5. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Yes, it looks to be merely a grain blend. Nothing wrong with that, however. It's just that it isn't a complete feed. The photo looks to have no pellets or crumbles which would hold the minerals, calcium and vitamins that a complete feed has. It appears to be only cracked and whole grains.

I'd keep it and feed it. But, I'd sure go get a couple bags of a complete feed for their basic needs. This is a fine enough scratch type feed to toss to them, from time to time.

6. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Here our mash looks very similar to scratch, but this is just that.. scratch.. I would definitely go in for a refund. If you paid for something you did not get, you deserve to be compensated.

Scratch is $5 less a bag here than a balanced feed.

7. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Quote: That's what most feeds are, and especially "organic" feeds

If the bag says "organic feed", and has NO TAG, then there HAS to be (by law) ingredient and nutritional information on the bag itself.

If the information isn't printed there, it's a "generic" bag that can be used for different feeds, and should have had a tag attached

If this is the right product, the "scratch" comes in a different bag:

http://www.agwayfeeds.com/agway/en/products/poultry/scratch-grains/index.jsp
    [​IMG]

NatureSmart[​IMG] Organic 16% Layer Pellets

This complete feed is designed to be fed to Laying Hens from the onset of lay through the laying cycle.

[​IMG]

http://www.agwayfeeds.com/agway/en/products/poultry/naturesmart-organic-16-layer-pellet/index.jsp

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by