Help! I used cedar shavings the first week!

bnecessary

Hatching
11 Years
May 9, 2008
Tacoma, Washington
Will my chicks die? They seem to be growing and hopping about like they should. I read your posts today and switched to old towels. Have I hurt my babies??
hmm.png

-Birgitte

My guess is if they are ok, it's OK. I used cedar the first week as well, and one of my chicks had a terrible itchy-eye reaction. It went away after I changed bedding. My other chicks I had at the time had no reaction whatsoever.

Each batch I've had, I put my chicks on puppy potty-training pads for the first week only, then switched to pine shavings. I've had no issues.

Brigitte,

I may get a lot of flack for this but I have raised many, MANY chicks on cedar and had NO PROBLEMS. I do use pine now because that is what my feed store has (last year all I could get was cedar). I think your chicks will be fine.

Thanks Adam!

I'm starting to feel like if there was going to be a problem, I'd see it by now. (?) They are pooping just fine, so no intestinal blocks.
tongue.png

-B

The first batch of chicks I got I used pine. I was so new I had no clue that I needed to cover the shavings to keep them from eating them, but apparently they already knew or didn't want to put me through the loss of them all dying, so ate what they were supposed to eat. If you're new at chick raising I think you're better safe than sorry, and as long as all of them are acting fine and none have irritated eyes or nostril problems (breathing, etc) I wouldn't worry. Everyone makes mistakes, and be glad you weren't one of the few out there who didn't know baby chicks needed to be kept warm!!!!
sad.png
wink.png
Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom