help i wanna go to bed--thermometers/hygros

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by kryptoniteqhs, Jan 26, 2010.

1. kryptoniteqhs

kryptoniteqhs Rosecomb Rich

Nov 14, 2008
    Perris, CA
    ok ive already had to make a late night trip to walmart n that still didnt fix it....i originally had 3 therm/hygrom reading 3 different temps n humidities......2 were the kind ive always used n one was different....so i went to walmart n bought two more of the same kind that i normally used n now i have 5 different therm/hyrometers reading 5 different temps n 5 different humidities in the same freaking bator!! [​IMG] 4 of them are the same type of device n one is different. Here are what they are reading (# 1 & 2 are the two new ones; #5 is the one thats a different type):

temp humidity
    1. 84 70
    2. 84 85
    3. 92 80
    4. 94 42
    5. 95 60

eta: i put BRAND NEW batteries in every single one tonight

Last edited: Jan 26, 2010
  2. kryptoniteqhs

Nov 14, 2008
    Perris, CA
    ok i still havent gone to bed!!!

3. Serrin

Serrin Chillin' With My Peeps

Wish I could help you there. I just made my online purchase today from GQF for my thermometer/hygrometer combo. It will be my first one, so my knowledge level on the subject is just about nill.

However, on the hygrometer issue, Speckledhen has the most wonderful way to calibrate those. I'll pass this along and hope like heck I've gotten it right. If I haven't, I'm sure Cyn will be along soon to straighten us both out! [​IMG]

Take a large zip lock bag and place a dish of water and salt into the bag. The amount of salt should be such that the water added to it is the consistency of wet sand. If I remember right, Speckledhen said about a half cup of salt to a quarter cup of water...or was it the other way around...oh heck! Just make it the consistency of wet sand! [​IMG]

Place your hygrometer inside the zip lock bag along with the dish of water and salt and seal it up. Let that set undisturbed for about 12 hours. Your hygrometer should read 75%. If it doesn't, if it reads, say 70%, then it's off by 5%. Therefore, any reading you have on it, you'll know to add 5% to the figure to get an accurate reading. Same holds true if it's showing 80% - just subtract the extra 5% in that case.

Cyn? Did I get it right?? [​IMG]

As for thermometers....I've heard say that one can calibrate those with a good medical thermometer. Same basic principle as the hygrometer. Adjust your temp reading according to the reading on a quality medical thermometer. Be aware though, that there is a variance on all of these. Look on the package...it will say something like :Accurate to within +/- 3 degrees. Don't confuse that with the range reading. That's completely different. I think maybe the medical thermometers are far more precise than the typical household thermometers though. [​IMG]

I hope that helped a little...good luck on your incubating!

4. lemurchaser

lemurchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2008
    Corvallis, OR
    Do you have a medical oral/rectal thermometer. Those are usually pretty accurate to see what is right. Fill a baggie with a little warm water and put it in the incubator. In a few hours the water will be the same temp as the incubator. Wrap the baggie around the medical thermometer and you'll get your most accurate temperature.

I would also calibrate your hygrometers, and I'd just not use any that weren't accurate. That's the right way to do it (in the previous post).

5. kryptoniteqhs

Nov 14, 2008
    Perris, CA
    you both are my saviors!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! thank you!!!!!! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 27, 2010
  6. PandoraTaylor

PandoraTaylor RT Poultry n Things

Jun 29, 2009
    Alaska
    the bag part is correct....but your percentage off is not.

your reading/75 gives you the % off it is.
    then keep a calculator next to the incubator and multiply the reading by the percetage off to get the accurate (true) reading.

say 70/75 =0.9333

so your humidity in the incubator reading 35% is really reading 35x 0.9333 or 32.7% which is a bit different than if you just subtracted or added the difference.

ETA : Link to Calibrating info

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=285284

Last edited: Jan 27, 2010
  7. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    unless there is an ajustment on the digital thermometer they are harder to ajust then the old analog typeI have always used crushed Ice and a water slurry to calibate a thermometer about a half of a glass of crushed Ice the rest of the glass fill with water the temp of the Ice / water is 32* you have 31* ice trying to turn into 33* water and 33*water trying to turn into 31*ice the temp will be 32* you need to stir the mix well and give it a few minuites to reach the tempature air conditioning servicemen everywhewre used this metod until digitals came down in price sometimes they have a potentiometer to ajust them with you just have to find it . HTH

8. saladin

saladin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    the South
    Might I suggest that the problem is you bought the things at Walmart: chinese work at it's best! saladin

9. Serrin

Serrin Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Well, you've managed to completely confuzzle me now! [​IMG]

CYYYNNNNNTHIIIIAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Haaaaaalllppp!!! [​IMG]

10. kryptoniteqhs

Nov 14, 2008
    Perris, CA
    Quote:that makes no sense at all....it doesnt even add up right...please explain again step by step using only one set of numbers for example.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by