help I want EVERYONES input on water heater thermostats in incubators

silkieflock

In the Brooder
10 Years
Nov 13, 2009
I am trying to regulate the temperature in my ice chest incubator and am almost at wits end. I think by now, I would have been further ahead buying a incubator. I tried placing the thermostat in a metal container higher up, away from the bulb, close to the bulb, directly above the bulb, and pretty soon I might put it inside the bulb or better yet, in the trash.
barnie.gif
somad.gif
rant.gif
he.gif

I know a lot of people must use one or have tried one, what has your experience been?
Why not just use a line voltage thermostat?$30

Please,please help me out here.

Last edited:
I've read somewhere on here that you can drill holes in it to make it more accurate, there is a page that shows how they did it, I'll look and see if I can find it.

Quote:
No one likes the "Tell me everything...." type of questions, especially when there is more than enough threads already created on the subject. Perhaps if you tried the search function you'll find what you're looking for.

So the metal disc on the bottom must not be what activates the switch then huh?

Quote:
No one likes the "Tell me everything...." type of questions, especially when there is more than enough threads already created on the subject. Perhaps if you tried the search function you'll find what you're looking for.

I don't want to know everything, I want to know about your experience with waterheater thermostats, do you have experience? would you help me out? thank you

Last edited:
I can't remember exactly where i saw that, but I know it was on someones homemade incubator page, try looking through the homemade incubator contestants pages.

Quote:
That has been suggested in one of silkieflocks other threads, I believe. You have to drill out the rivets holding the black plastic cover on the metal backing and separate the plastic from the metal. Then drill the holes in the plastic...otherwise there's a very real chance of drilling into the thermal disc inside the unit if you try drilling into the complete unit.

For a newbie or maybe someone not so big in the engineering department, and if going for the complete DIY incubator, it would be wise to follow someone else's pre-tested design such as Miss Prissy's Chic-Chick Bator . Pay attention to the placement of the thermostat, lightbulb, and fan.

Several folks here on BYC are successfully using HWH thermostats, but for some folks it might be better to go for a wafer/microswitch setup, $16.98 wafer thermostat/switch from GQF's website.

For using a HWH thermostat, Miss Prissy's incubator is a very good one to study.

Ed

Back
Top Bottom