HELP!!! I want my chickens to stop fighting!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by MonicaVega28, Nov 30, 2010.

1. MonicaVega28

MonicaVega28 New Egg

Nov 30, 2010
    My husband and I adopted 2 chickens, and recently lost one to a raccoon, and yesterday brought home another chicken to keep the other hen company. They instantly started fighting, our original hen was pecking and bending down the other ones neck, and pulling out feathers, the noise was AWFUL so we seperated them.

I kept the new chicken in the coop and let the original one run around the yard, as she usually does all day. Last night I put one in a dog crate in the roost, and one open in the roost, so they could see each other (as I read to do ) and this morning, let the original hen out in the yard as usual, and closed the new one int the coop. Our new chicken today is not eating or drinking and is hiding in the roost, face to the corner of the box. I don't know what to do???!! They each have separate food and water, I'm just afraid that the new chicken is traumatized and wont come out to eat or drink, and if I eventually let it run free in the yard, it is going to hide somewhere I cannot get to, like the black berry bushes.

a few questions:

how long should the fighting last? and how much pecking and attacking is OK? I know there will be some, but I thought they would kill eachother! any other tips on how to make the 2 of them get along?

thanks!!

2. MonicaVega28

MonicaVega28 New Egg

Nov 30, 2010
    UPDATE:

I just went to close up the coop for the night, and my original hen made a nest in the yard where she layed and egg. it this where she is gonna lay from now on? or it is just because the new chicken was in the coop?

this is becoming to be a lot of work to keep everybody safe and happy:)

thanks for any help....i'm still learning

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by