Help I want to order chicks and no one can ship to my zip!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by sarahsladies, Nov 4, 2014.

1. sarahsladies

sarahsladies Out Of The Brooder

Sep 12, 2014
    SO I have been wanting to order some chicks and there is a USPS embargo on live animals being sent through the mail in my zip code and several others. I read some other posts and forums and they seemed to think it was weather related, but it is the fall now and the temps are good for sending chicks. I read somewhere that I could possibly have them shipped to a different zip code,how would I do that? I only live about an hour from a zip code that will receive live animals (craziness) and I would like to just drive up there and pick them up, but I do not fully understand how to just have them shipped to a post office without a physical address. I am having the same problem with bees as well-the local breeders are sold out here for 2 years and I am being forced to order online BUT no one can ship to me!! So frustrating- if you have found a way around this silly rule please let me know!

2. LanceTN

LanceTN Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2014
    Get a po box at the post office.

The post offices don't usually bring the chicks to your house anyway. They usually call and make you pick them up yourself

3. sarahsladies

Sep 12, 2014
    Can you get a PO box for just a month? Because I would only need it for one or two items and it would be in a neighboring state! I like your idea though!

4. LanceTN

LanceTN Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2014
    Ask the post office.

Honestly if it's a small town post office they may work with you

5. sarahsladies

Sep 12, 2014
    I will do that- I will let you know what they say.

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I'd ask at the post office and the hatchery and see what they can work out. Don't rent a PO box, hatcheries won't ship to a PO box. They will ship general delivery to a post office.

7. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida Premium Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    The town I live in is so small that there is no house to house mail delivery....the entire town has to go to the Post Office to pick up mail. There's not a mailbox in the entire community. My chicks were shipped just fine to my PO Box. When I filled in the order I explained in the "comments" section that the PO Box was my address. Chicks arrived just fine.

8. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    What state are you in. Some states, like Virginia, have requirements that some hatcheries can’t meet. My information on Virginia is a couple of years old but they required a certain test that certain hatcheries can’t do. That test is not offered in their state and it is not economical to set up doing that test just to ship to Virginia.

You can call the hatchery and see what the restriction is. Once you learn what you are actually dealing with instead of just guessing a solution often presents itself. It’s also possible a different hatchery could ship to your zip but since I don’t know why you have that restriction I certainly can’t even guess what the solution might be.

Same thing with the bees. Find out the why they can’t ship to your zip. With all the problem of hive die-off many states have restrictions on shipping bees and should require a permit. In can only speculate it might be a concern with certain diseases or parasites like mites.

9. 123RedBeard

123RedBeard Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2014
    Arizona
    I'd go to the po and ask them for chapter and verse of why they can't be shipped?

Then find a way to either go around, or bypass ... Maybe you have a friend who could order for you in a neighboring town?

10. sarahsladies

Sep 12, 2014
    All good thoughts. I live in Oklahoma and the embargo apparently is for all surrounding zips in neighboring towns I would have to go to Kansas to pick up. I emailed the bee people, but have not gotten a response yet. Also I went to MULTIPLE sites for bees and chicks and it is listed over and over that they will not ship to my zip. This must have happened fairly recently because I received chicks from an online source over spring break this year. I am actually going to the PO today and inquiring about this- I will update.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by