HELP! I want to take good pictures but........

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by 16 paws, Aug 17, 2013.

1. 16 paws

16 paws Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi there, I really would like to take some good pictures of my chickens but,
    I think I have a lousy camera or a lousy operator! I have a Nikon Coolpix S220 with 10 megapixels. Here is a picture I took today. Can anyone recommend a camera that doesnt bankrupt me and takes great pictures? I dont have a cell phone so that is out. Let me see your great pictures and thanks for your help![​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Veer67

Veer67 Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a Nikon Coolpix S8200 it takes some pretty impressive pictures, here are some pictures:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. 16 paws

Wow, those are beautiful! May I ask how much the camera would cost?
    Thanks

4. Veer67

Veer67 Chillin' With My Peeps

It depends I don't remember how much it was when I bought it ( maybe around the $200-500 range). Maybe this link will help you.

5. cverba

cverba Out Of The Brooder

May 7, 2013
    Albany, OR
    If you want to take really good pictures, you need lenses. They allow you to have depth of field to focus specific zones. It also lets you have more of an optical zoom (rather than digital zoom). So you can take shots close up or really far away. Being able to control your aperture and shutterspeed also helps you figure out how to take the best shot. IE lighting is bright so fast shutterspeed allows you to take picture of chicken running in motion. But say it's dark, you'll want to allow more light into the lens.

On your current camera, try using sportshots or manual if you have it (try the scene setting). A macro setting could help to give the illusion of depth of field.

And you have to consider what is breaking the bank for you?

I would recommend a Canon powershot. Or Nikon D3200 for "affordable" DSLR.

Or go big and start looking at Canon Rebels. :)
    Here's an EOS "cheap" DSLR : http://www.amazon.com/Canon-Rebel-T...o&ie=UTF8&qid=1376862533&sr=1-1&keywords=dslr

Here's link to package deals on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_nr_n...s=dslr&ie=UTF8&qid=1376862461&rnid=2941120011

6. cverba

cverba Out Of The Brooder

May 7, 2013
    Albany, OR
    [​IMG]
    Here's an example of the depth of field, chicken is in focus, chair and wall are blurry.

[​IMG]
    Image is dark and soft with medium iso, low light setting with slower shutter speed.

My camera is a Canon Rebel XSi

1 person likes this.
  7. albchickenfarm

albchickenfarm Out Of The Brooder

Nov 20, 2012
    The Coop :)
    I would recommend the Canon Powershot as well. I have 2 of them and love them.

8. 16 paws

9. 16 paws

Last edited: Aug 18, 2013
  10. 16 paws

Which model do you have?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by