[help] I went to do the daily chicken chores yesterday afternoon and notice a growth/swelling on the

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by bfmv580, Apr 2, 2012.

1. bfmv580

bfmv580 New Egg

Apr 2, 2012
    Norfolk, England, UK.
    I'll fill out the form and then explain more and post photos.

1) What type of bird, age and weight?(does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)
    Hybrid, 11 months and unknown but she is the heaviest of the 3 hens.

2) What is the behavior, exactly?
    Her behaviour is normal, eating lots, drinking, scratching at the soil. Perfectly normal.

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
    She has had the lump since yesterday morning. But again, has not acted differently. She was fine the day before that.

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
    No, they are all fine.

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
    No bleeding, but a swelling/lump in her neck. The feathers are gone over the lump, could this be a sign that she was attacked by another chicken?

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
    I have no noticed anything, she has been playing in the long grass at the back of the garden, possible sting from a wasp or something. My 3 hens don't fight but she is definitely the lowest in the pecking order.

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all?
    Her normal mix of chicken feed, leftovers like bread veg, yoghurt sometimes, things like that.

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc?
    I haven't seen her poop but there is no blood or runny poo in the coop or run.

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
    Nothing as there doesn't seem to be much I can do, I could put antiseptic ointment on but as there is no open wound I'm not sure if I need it. Also it could encourage the attention of the others.

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
    I would prefer to avoid the vet. For several reason, the main being cost. I am very low on funds right now and this would be a big blow to my financial well being.

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
    see below

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
    Wooden coop with pine shavings. [​IMG]

It's firm but not hard. Almost like an egg, firm ball of liquid swelling surrounded by a more watery liquid. Its loose in the skin, like a testicle, frankly. It's warm too like when you get a swelling.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Wow - poor girl. Right in her ear area. I don't think it has anything to do with the other hens pecking at her. I'm wondering if it's like a severe inner ear infection...
    If it's a sting of some kind, it should go down over the next day or so. If not, I think I'd admin. an antibiotic. I love tylan 50 (which tractor supply sells), but I've only used the injectable (bought 1/2 inch insulin type needles from a pharmacy - 28 gauge I think). There's a milder type antibiotic - Duramycin, that I believe can be added to water. But then you'd need to separate birds so others weren't drinking the same water.
    Some might suggest trying to drain it (if it doesn't go down on its own over the next day or so), but with it being in the ear area, that would worry me...
    Sorry I'm not of more help - I've just not dealt with something like this before. Hope someone with personal experience responds....

3. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    Oh my, looks to be some sort of a tumor. If it is a sting or bite of some sort the swelling should go down within the next few days. If it gets bigger it's a tumor. If you are unable to take her to the vet and she seems to be getting along just fine with her daily routine I would just let her be to live out her life unless she begins to suffer. In that case I would put her down. The vet would cost you a fortune and probably wouldn't be able to do anything for her anyways unless surgery was possible but even then I would guess that would be a very risky surgery with a possible poor outcome. I hope it is not a tumor and the swelling goes down and she makes a full recovery. [​IMG]

4. bfmv580

bfmv580 New Egg

Apr 2, 2012
    Norfolk, England, UK.
    That's the best advice I've had so far (posted on another forum), thank you very much. An ear infection does seem like a possibility, as it's right in that area. I didn't think it was a peck from another chicken either, seems much more internal. Probably worth noting that I'm in the UK so I'm not familiar with Tractor Supply, but I will do a little research into finding an anti-biotic alternative if I can't find Tylan 50. I'm hoping it will go down soon and I won't need to do anything of that nature but I will keep it in mind.

Thanks again.

5. bfmv580

bfmv580 New Egg

Apr 2, 2012
    Norfolk, England, UK.
    That's my worry. Been trying to avoid the T word in my house as everyone is worried about her. If it is a tumour though, I guess I'll have no choice in the matter, but I'm really hoping it's just an inflammation that will go down soon. The thing is, I don't think a tumour would show up over night, although I have no experience as I have only been keeping chickens for under a year. She was fine Saturday, I spent time in the garden and up close with her and would have noticed, but then Sunday I saw it straight away.

Thanks for the input, I agree that if it's a tumour a vet would likely not be able to do anything and it would cost an outrageous amount to even have her seen. I'll see that she lives well no matter the outcome.

6. bfmv580

bfmv580 New Egg

Apr 2, 2012
    Norfolk, England, UK.
    Just locked up the coop for the night. Had another feel of the lump, it's not going down but it's less loose in the skin now. Not sure whether that's a good or bad sign. It's still warm to the touch.

7. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Loose is good - well, at least better. I would think that means that the swelling is going down a bit. Infection means heat. But swellings from stings also often feel warm to the touch. I sure hope that when you let them out in the morning, the swelling has receded at least some. Have you been able to find Tylan 50, just in case??? I would think many on-line vets would sell this too, overseas as well as here in the states.
    If you decide to go with injections, and need any guidance, feel free to pm me. I'm no pro at doing it (it was so hard for me, as I hate needles), but after three days straight of injections, my girl recovered very quickly from her infection (swollen eye area due to resp.infection).

8. bfmv580

bfmv580 New Egg

Apr 2, 2012
    Norfolk, England, UK.
    [UPDATE]

It's been a week and as you can see, the lump has gone down considerably. Thanks for all the help.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by