HELP ICE STORM!!!

mahen8622

Songster
11 Years
Jan 19, 2009
KY
omgosh i got hit majorly by the dreaded ice storm my first mistake was ordering 24 eggs from someone ( i just had to have them lol) then the ice storm hit and i got my eggs yesterday theyre now in a shoe box with thermometers next to my wood stove are they doomed or can they make it? ps we're lookin at getting power in MID FEB! AGHHHHHHHHHH CABIN FEVER AND BYC WITHDRAWLS!!!
roll.png
sad.png
tongue.png
hmm.png

Can you send them somewhere with power, or go plug in at a shelter or school. That happened to me out here this summer in the tornado outages on the shore. I drove my incubator to a power source, but we lost about 4-5 that were 4-5 days away from hatching. They were fully formed in the shells, but dead... of course we had to look.. science and all.
I have read on here people take eggs from fridge and warm and are successful at hatching. What is the outside/garage temp. I would worry about drying out by stove, not humid enough. I keep water boiling on our stove all day and night to combat the dryness just for us humans.
Good Luck
Mid February??? Who is working on that?

I was going through the same thing I just got my power on yesterday. I got my eggs the same day the electric went out. I kept them as warm as possible till the electric came back on. I have my fingers crossed thats about all you can do. I think you should let whoever you bought the eggs from whats going on. Maybe they will help you out incase your eggs are lost.

apparently us western southern kyians should be on a dang island no one seems to notice were down here in winter "devils" wonderland its bad really bad. I honestly dont know where on earth i could take them most of the people around me are with out power 45 minutes south of here has power but dnt know anyone i could really ask to help me out
sad.png
im so sad i had some reallly niteresting eggs i could be hatching *SNIIIIIIIIIFF*
sad.png

i tried emailing her but no response and im only at this location for a few minutes i gotta go back to the cold dark home. As my father told me yesterday the only differnce between his house and a cave at this point is that he has a door lol i completely agree lol
wink.png

Quote:
Hey neighbor, How areyou doing today?

we got the same storm and I was working in moving snow for alsmot 48 hours strait the last few days, the ice start melting here and tomorrow the temprature will be in the above 40s, and monday I think I will be cutting trees and clearing debries from the storm.

Friend of mine has an incubator I can ask him for you to put the eggs if you are not far from us, we are in shelby county and we have the power back.

Omran

thatd be great but could you mail them back before they hatched or would i miss out on all of it? this would be my first real hatch! i am sooo sad
sad.png

weve been clearing stuff like crazy but trees just keep comin on down its endless it seems like

I hope you get your electric on soon. I didnt know if we ever was going to get ours on we heard it was 14 days--- Noone at the electric company would answer the phone to give us any news all we got was a recording saying "We are aware of your outage and we are working hard to get power back on" Yeah right I heard our towns electric company was helpng out other counties before US! I have 2 small childern and an disable parent and Had to leave my home.

I was going to try the electric skillet method others had described. I bought the combo therm/hygr., let the skillet temp stabilize for 48 hrs, humidity was ok. Put the eggs in, got ready for a 3 week countdown to fuzzy baby bantam tushies, and then we lose power. Overnight, then back on, a couple of times during the day for 20-30 min., Wed. was good, then lost power Thurs. all day from around 9 a.m. to 10:30 p.m. Also, had 4 families here in our little 2 BR, 1 Bath house, and during that time someone either bumped or fiddled with the temp control on the skillet that it took me FOUR DAYS to get exactly right, and the high reading stored in the memory was 136 degrees.
ep.gif
he.gif
barnie.gif
I am so
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
right now... Don't have any Silkies, none of the hens are broody, but I would SO love to hatch our own little babies from Mr. Big Stuff and his girls, Gidget & Midget (BB Reds). When DH goes back to work, I may have to get a bator (or sooner, if I fall into a pit of money somewhere...
wink.png
Just had to vent. thanks for listening!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom