1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help ID... 14 dead in box! Warning - Dead chick pics

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by KellyGwen, May 14, 2008.

1. KellyGwen

KellyGwen Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2008
    Lake Luzerne, NY
    I got my first ever order of chicks today from Welp and 14 out of the 25 are dead! One of the others looks sick.. I hope she makes it!

Can you help me ID who died? I ordered Ameracaunas, Mixed Brown, Mixed White, a Lakenvelder Roo and a Brown Leghorn Roo... I don't know how to tell them apart...

Welp is sending me a complete replacement on June 2nd.. so I guess that's good... but these poor babies!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These chicks looked a little different from the rest...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'll post some pictures of the live ones soon (in a different, happier post!) but I wanted to give them time to eat, drink a sleep before I messed with them too much... Poor babies...
    One of the living black and white ones is a little weak.. I'm hoping it'll recover!

2. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    So sorry [​IMG] I hope the rest do well. I wish I could help you out with the IDs. Just wanted to say [​IMG]

3. KellyGwen

KellyGwen Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2008
    Lake Luzerne, NY
    Thanks... I'm just sick over it... The remaining chicks (except for one) seem to be doing ok... They are sending another batch to me on June 2nd... I hope I get a VERY LOUD box this time...

[​IMG]

4. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Aww poor babies! I wonder what happened with them. I hope mine make it ok on the 23 of this month!

5. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Sorry for your loss.

The ones with puffy cheeks and tinted legs were probably your EE's. I also think the one on the right in the second pic was your blue chick and the black ones with white bellies are BR's. Other than that I am not sure. Identifiying chicks at times can be difficult since so many are colored the same.

6. bangor777

bangor777 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    That's awful. Were they in transit too long? perhaps they weren't handled carefully by the post and they trampled each other? I'm so sorry, what a horrible thing to happen![​IMG]

7. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    The chick in the last pic looked like it died from really bad pasty butt.

8. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    most of those look like the Easter Eggers who are labeled as amerucanas by hatcheries a few others look like black austroplop.

I am sorry this happened,
    Good Luck ,
    Henry

9. msrma7670

msrma7670 Chillin' With My Peeps

Looks to me like several of your EE died americana. They are the ones with the black stri down the back and markings around the eyes

sorry for the loss

10. SamG347

SamG347 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2007
    PA
    Sorry for your loss...[​IMG] I think they look like a lot of Easter Eggers...but that chick in the third pic down with the stripes could be a Brown Leghorn.
    Good Luck with the replacements!
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by