Help ID Breed of 2 Roosters

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by dazasm, Feb 21, 2014.

1. dazasm

dazasm New Egg

Feb 21, 2014
    This is kind of an odd situation, I don't keep chickens or anything(not that I don't like them), however I work at a municipal animal shelter and we get in stray chickens/roosters every now and then - mostly roosters since they pretty much all come from inside city limits(a roo wandering down a rural county road isn't going to turn heads like one strutting down Main Street would). Roosters are outlawed in city limits due to noise complaint issues, while hens are A-ok and unlikely to have neighbors flustered, so we see much more roosters.

I decided to join first to learn, as I know very little about chickens/roosters beyond basic care and we get them often enough I feel I should know more, and to hopefully use you guys' expertise to identify the birds that we do end up with - knowing breed both satisfies my curiosity and it makes it easier to find them forever homes(unless their breed/type is obvious to our untrained eyes, current conversations often go something like, "Hey, would you be interested in a rooster?" "What kind is it?" "The male kind.") Even if they're just mutts instead of a distinct breed, that's helpful to know.

If I could get help ID'ing these two roosters(one from back in January, the other just came in today) I'd much appreciate it.
    I am sorry about the pictures not being too great, camera phone + poor lighting + less than cooperative subjects.

First, this is the rooster we just got in today, caught roaming inside city limits. He has a very prominent rose comb(and that's about all the knowledge I've got, so if I got that part wrong I'm really clueless):
    [​IMG]

Second is this rooster which we had gotten in back in January, also in an illegal area. He's already gone to a home but figured I'd ask just for curiosity sake. A friend suggested it was a Silver Laced Wyandotte, but they weren't sure.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thank you! I appreciate any help :)

Last edited: Feb 21, 2014
  2. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    welcome to BYC, i am bad at breeds but there are tons of people here that can tell you. pretty sure the old one is cochin. the first one, well, wish i was able to adopt. he is pretty. he almost looks like a brackel but i doubt it. like i said im bad at knowing the breeds . good luck with your adoptions

3. cluckcluckluke

cluckcluckluke Overrun With Chickens

Neither of them are Cochins!

They are both crosses I believe and the second one has got some Wyandotte in it, but that comb is wrong!

Edit: Spelling.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2014
  4. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    Certainly not cochins, these roosters are clean legged. I agree with cluckcluckluke. They are both mixes, but the second has a strong wyandotte influence

1 person likes this.
  5. txcarl1258

txcarl1258 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2010
    Pleasanton
    Here is my guess. #1 appears to be a Dominique mix since he has the rose comb and the barring. # 2 looks like a Silver Laced Wyandotte mix.

6. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    hey guys, told you i was bad at this. and i have cochins ![​IMG] some how always forget about the feathered feet.

7. dretd

dretd Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2009
    Ft Collins, CO
    Hi dazasm and [​IMG]. Good on you for trying to get these guys homes!

The first one has white shanks which is a dominant gene. Most likely on parent or maybe grand parent has white legs. He also has an incomplete Columbian pattern where the tail and hackles have black but the body remains silver. Based on those two factors I would guess that he is 1/4 or 1/2 Light Sussex and with the Rose comb (or hybrid Rose Comb) he really is most likely 1/2 Dominique as well.

I have not had Wyandottes, but folks have reported that hatcheries do ship them out single combed on occasion so that is pretty lgood guess that he is all or 1/2 Hatchery Wyandotte.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2014
  8. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    True about the hatchery birds havering strait combs on occasion, but even an low quality hatchery bird does not have that poor of coloring

9. cluckcluckluke

cluckcluckluke Overrun With Chickens

Yeah that lacing is really bad. It's for sure a mix.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by