Help ID --- I think Rhode Island Red

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by sab, Jun 9, 2011.

1. sab

sab Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2010
    Ripley, WV
    My Coop
    Please tell me this is not a Roo.... I have 2 of these. Picked them up on April 18 - they were probably 3 days old. So that makes them like 6 weeks old... or 7 maybe. I did not order Rhode Island Reds. And I certainly didn't order Roos. I don't mind if they are RIRs but Roos.... that's a different story.
    Here are several shots. To me they are hens but for that red wobbly business on their faces. Me hopes you folks tell me that RIRs have large combs....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks!

Last edited: Jun 9, 2011
  2. M.sue

M.sue Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2011
    Michigan
    I'm no expert so I can't tell from the picks. If they are 7-8 wks. old as you say then.....The Roos should start voices themselves themselves right about this age. At least mine did. You could also try the hat drop trick. That is put them in a small enclosed room like the bathroom or let them mingle in your kitchen and explore for a bit. Then take a hat and drop it into the middle of the flock. The hens should startle & scatter while the Roos should stand to attention and act on guard. I was ready to try this trick but mine began trying to crow the following morning. Good Luck......I love Roosters!!

3. sab

sab Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2010
    Ripley, WV
    My Coop
    They crow that early?? Only peeps at this point. I don't see any difference in their behavior from the 2 hens that are the same age and with them. A hawk flew over this evening and they ALL froze -- the older birds and the new young ones. Even duck-duck froze. The big birds (3) and duck were in a tractor separated from the free ranging biddy birds. I let the little ones out for a short while each evening. They all froze. I paid particular attention to the 2 I am concerned about and they acted the same.

4. akcountrygrrl

akcountrygrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2010
    Nenana, AK
    Ummm, sorry, but those are boys. You can see the pointy saddle feathers starting to come in. Some roosters will start trying to crow at just a few days old and others won't crow until they are several months old if they crow at all.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2011
  5. motherhenmindy

motherhenmindy Out Of The Brooder

May 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Are you sure on the ages?

They look quite larger than my 7 week old RIR...although maybe it's because they really are roos and the males are bigger at that age...

Out of my 3 birds, my RIR has the biggest and pinkest comb, but at 7 weeks old, and now almost 8 weeks old, not as big and red as what you've got going on. The bright red at 7-8 weeks seems boyish.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=518463

6. M.sue

M.sue Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2011
    Michigan
    Quote:Yes if that's what you to want to call it.lol It's sorta a strained crow and the pitch is sorta high. That is with mine at least.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by