Help ID my chicks!

HeatherTheMommy

Songster
May 14, 2015
Felton DE
Please help me ID my baby chicks. We got them Saturday to start our backyard flock and with all the commotion (we have 2 small children) I forgot to write down the breeds. I know the white one is a silkie and the 2 small ones are guinea hens. Any input is appreciated. Thank you!

Last edited:

CascadiaRiver

Songster
6 Years
Dec 12, 2014
Pacific Northwest
Photo #1 is a blue color, unknown breed. and that's all I really known, most look like mixes or you might have to wait until they are older, I don't see the silkie? could you post a photo of that one?

deemathes

Chirping
May 7, 2015
Lillington, NC
I see at least one, possibly two White Orpingtons in there, also, the brown one with eyeliner looks like a Speckled Sussex. I have both of those and they look identical....

deemathes

Chirping
May 7, 2015
Lillington, NC
The one with eyeliner, does it have puffy cheeks and almost gray legs? Could be an Ameraucana. Our Sussex and Ameraucana chicks looked identical at that age except leg color and the Sussex had flat cheeks. Wish I could tell you more!! Best of luck with your flock!!

junebuggena

Crowing
Apr 17, 2015
Long Beach, WA
By the way, your brooder is a bit too small. Each chick should have enough room to stretch out a bit. Some of them even prefer to sleep all sprawled out. And the water should be placed farther from the heat lamp. Drinking water is one way chicks try to cool themselves. You don't want it to get warm.

HeatherTheMommy

Songster
May 14, 2015
Felton DE
Thank you for the input. I have a few More totes and lights so i can divide the chicks up for more space. When do they become fully feathered to go outside? I will get a pic of my silkie in a few. Shed a beauty.

CascadiaRiver

Songster
6 Years
Dec 12, 2014
Pacific Northwest
Thank you for the input. I have a few More totes and lights so i can divide the chicks up for more space. When do they become fully feathered to go outside? I will get a pic of my silkie in a few. Shed a beauty.

You seems to have some different ages there, just make sure the youngest are feathered before putting them outside Full Time to be safe, thats what we do and never lost a chick.

Bengt747

In the Brooder
May 3, 2015
Quote:

Based on the fourth picture, you may have some Rhode Island Reds as well. There are at least two chicks with RIR coloring standing next to the waterer toward the back of the tote.

Last edited:

MANNA-PRO

Top Bottom