Help ID please

HOLWACHAGOT

In the Brooder
Feb 16, 2015

I am under the impression the last three are Red star, Buff Orpington, and Barnvelder......I am new and would appreciate ID and sex help of the bird in the first pic....as well as possible confirmation of the other three guesses....Thanks.
Holwachagot

edit:Not sure the age of the first one either....

Last edited:
I'm not entirely sure about the 3 in the last photo, but it looks like the bird in the first pic is a partridge silkie rooster.
Hope it helps!

The first one is a picture of a silkie chicken and I believe it is a rooster (althought I am not 100%, that would be my guess, due to the fancier feathers in the tail). I am pretty sure others in here that are more familiar with silkies will also give you their best shot. In the second picture, you have a red-sex link also know as red star, you have a buff orpington and what looks like to me a mix one, I am not sure she looks just like a barnevelder, there is something else in her. By the way she is absolutely gorgeous.

The first one looks like a male silkie. Do you have any better pictures of the chickens in the second one? Judging on the pic I think you're right for the ID of the 3 (the red star could be some type of production red)

Last edited:
The first bird looks like a Partridge Silkie cockerel. The red hen on the left in the second photo is a Red Sex-Link, the middle bird is a Buff Orpington, and I'm not sure on the bird on the right. It could be a Barnavelder, but the photo is kind of blurry so I'm not sure.

The first bird looks like a Partridge Silkie cockerel. The red hen on the left in the second photo is a Red Sex-Link, the middle bird is a Buff Orpington, and I'm not sure on the bird on the right. It could be a Barnavelder, but the photo is kind of blurry so I'm not sure.
Agreed.

Thanks guys!!

You can't tell from the pic above but Tempura Lorax is gnawing on my hand while I am tryin to photo "Big Momma"
Meanwhile I am laughing and cussing at it.....I fear my laughter was encouraging his attacks now....regardless....
his beak is gonna write a check he can't cash one day....

Mid Peck

Raring back for a stronger whack on my finger....which worked....

Frenchie with a tree frog....she squawked in celebration and tossed and pecked this frog around.....then when sure she had it like she liked it in her mouth......SWALLOWED IT WHOLE....and strutted back over where she found it to scratch for more....all the while clucking and talking like she won the lottery......I assume it's ok because she certainly knew what to do with it.....

playing with her prize....she ran the other hens off very verbally while she had this frog....I still chuckle at the noises she was making...

Thanks to you both for the replies! Big Momma is actually the sister of my neighbors bird....which were both ordered as Barnvelders from a chicken seller ....She is by far the most alert of the birds and first to be aware of our rat terrier....buffy is oblivious until big momma alerts and lil red could care less....because both to my pleasure and horror lil red has absolutely no fear of the dog...or anybody....she is the sweetest one around us too...she actually pecked susie(dog) on the nose trying to eat one of her spots....which did two weeks worth of dog training attmpts in one foul peck....

The Tempura Lorax did a full flying jumping flapping attempting to karate kick me attack this morning..... Ran across the yard at me to do it.....I laughed so hard I cried at this little rascals nerve. He won't be doing that anymore....I threw a towel over him mid attack and he won't come near me now..... BUT.....the whole point of this little story....about five minutes after that I thought a chicken was being molested ....a new sound was reverberating through the storm windows! I rushed to the back door to go save my hens and what did I find? The Lorax on the back poch...head up.....wings going on the ground and letting out the LOUDEST squawking I have ever heard. Like you guys said......HE is no SHE......anybody want a bird? He is not aggresssive AT all with the my hens....they actually dominate him....but are starting to tolerate his presence with them....I have to find him a home soon.....he is gorgeous to my untrained eye!
Holwachagot

Back
Top Bottom