sjango

Songster
6 Years
May 2, 2017
San Diego County, California
I've hatched plenty of batches of eggs in my incubators before, and even shipped eggs once, but they were handled with great care. This is my first time handling shipped eggs that had severely detached air cells. I'm on day 7 and most look like the picture below and the lighter area on the bottom (non-pointy end) doesn't move BUT I do see something that is somewhat air pocket looking that does move around even though the light region doesn't move... :hmm

Does this mean the air cells are not fully reattached, or am I over-complicating this and they are attached? The movement inside is what is causing me to be so uncertain. Any help would be great!

Capture2.PNG

There are also at least 4 eggs out of 21 that have saddled air cells. Any advice on those?
I'm thinking of moving them all onto the tray to auto rotate if the air cells are attached, I'm just too scared to do it in case they are somehow only partially reattached.

This is very common with shipped eggs. Usually it doesn't seem to affect hatch, but it's hard to say, since so many things can go wrong with shipped eggs and it's hard to blame one thing or another. How did your hatch go?

So sorry no one seems to have seen this until too late to offer help. Sometimes these posts can get buried under all the new posts before anyone sees them who knows anything to suggest. It's helpful to join an existing thread when asking hatching questions. If there's a hatch-a-long thread active when you want to ask a question, that is where the seasoned hatchers will be most likely to see your question. In case you're hatching again, or just want to hang around, learn & get acquainted, here's the May Hatch-a-Long thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/may-2020-hatch-a-long.1359364/unread

Back
Top Bottom