1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help ID this broody baby

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by OkieChickenDad, Dec 5, 2010.

1. OkieChickenDad

OkieChickenDad Out Of The Brooder

Nov 21, 2010
    Oklahoma
    Gerty was to be a Copper Maran...she has a fluffy beard, a few feathers on her legs, blue grey coloring that is broken up by very few scattered black/dark blue spots. She came from a farm with Turkens, Silkies, Copper Marans and others that remain UCO's (Unidentified Clucking Objects). I think she is a pretty sweet little mutt, but this is my 1st chicken and I really dont know squat [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. chicken-owner-31

chicken-owner-31 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2007
    NV
    I"m pretty new to chickens myself, so I can't guess, but I have to say that last picture made me crack up! [​IMG] She's a pretty girl!

3. txcarl1258

txcarl1258 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2010
    Pleasanton
    She looks like an Ameracauna or EE cross. She could be an olive egger which is a EE or Ameracauna X Dark Laying breed, i.e. BCM. I think she is gorgeous and is welcome at my house anytime. [​IMG]

4. OkieChickenDad

Nov 21, 2010
    Oklahoma
    Quote:Now that you mentioned it!...the lady told me she had olive egger hatching eggs, and asked if I wanted some extras...I said no just a dozen, but she gave me 14 and told me she threw in some extras anyway, 2 of the eggs were blue, and thats what gerty hatched from...a blue egg.

5. happytxchick

happytxchick Egg Song Acre

Jul 8, 2009
    Sulphur Springs, TX
    Quote:Agreed. If it weren't for the bronze color in the hackles and the feathered legs (I see feathers, don't I?) then she'd be a blue Ameraucana. Most likely an Olive Egger with those feathered legs. If you don't want her, I'll add her to my little flock. [​IMG]

6. happytxchick

Jul 8, 2009
    Sulphur Springs, TX
    Quote:Now that you mentioned it!...the lady told me she had olive egger hatching eggs, and asked if I wanted some extras...I said no just a dozen, but she gave me 14 and told me she threw in some extras anyway, 2 of the eggs were blue, and thats what gerty hatched from...a blue egg.

There you go. You'd better hang onto her. Folks'll be knocking your door down to get some of her pretty eggs. [​IMG]

7. OkieChickenDad

Nov 21, 2010
    Oklahoma
    Quote:Agreed. If it weren't for the bronze color in the hackles and the feathered legs (I see feathers, don't I?) then she'd be a blue Ameraucana. Most likely an Olive Egger with those feathered legs. If you don't want her, I'll add her to my little flock. [​IMG]

Yeah, sure...you would have to pry Gerty from my cold dead hands...she is the baby and the 1st animal we have had that we have actually considered getting "diapers" for [​IMG]

8. happytxchick

Jul 8, 2009
    Sulphur Springs, TX
    LOL. I love it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by