Help ID this chick's breed, and sex.

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by tknjk, Dec 30, 2008.

1. tknjk

tknjk Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2007
    Abilene, TX
    I don't know how old it is, but I'm going to go out on a limb, and say around 4 weeks or so. I got it for free at the feed store. They didn't know what it was. Is it too early to tell if it's a roo? Same bird in both pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    Looks more like 10 -12 weeks, possibly a pullet. Do you see any pointy hackle or saddle feathers? Hard to tell from the pictures, and I'm not familiar with the breed. I'm sure there's someone that knows, though. [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 30, 2008
  3. Yoko

Yoko Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2008
    SanDiego,California
    looks like a pullet,not so sure of the breed though..

4. tknjk

tknjk Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2007
    Abilene, TX
    Mrs. AK-Bird-Brain :

Looks more like 10 -12 weeks, possibly a pullet. Do you see any pointy hackle or saddle feathers? Hard to tell from the pictures, and I'm not familiar with the breed. I'm sure there's someone that knows, though. [​IMG]

Hackle, Saddle??? All I see is feathers....... Sorry I'm still a chicken Noob.​

5. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    Quote:Hackle, Saddle??? All I see is feathers....... Sorry I'm still a chicken Noob.

Hackle feathers are the neck feathers, and saddle feathers are the ones that start near the base of the tail. [​IMG]
    Pointed, curving, droopy saddle feathers are a sure indication of a roo. Yours looks like it has pretty straight tail feathers, though, which is why I'm leaning toward pullet. [​IMG]

6. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Hi tknjk and welcome to BYC!
    I'm going to use a pic of my roo to demonstrate hackle and saddle feathers:

[​IMG]

See the white feathers around his neck? Those are hackle feathers. In a cockerel (young roo) they will be more pointed than in a pullet.
    Now look at the white feathers across his back and in front of his tail. Those are the saddle feathers. They are also more pointed in the cockerel than in the hen and will start to drape down as the roo ages.
    Keep in mind my roo was 8 months old when this picture was taken- not to mention a different breed; but maybe you get the point.
    I agree with Mrs. AK, looks to be about 10 weeks old. I'm leaning towards pullet also.

7. wclawrence

wclawrence Chillin' With My Peeps

Okay that is definitely a hen. it is either a rock or leghorn or game.

8. Mourningdove

Mourningdove Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2008
    Cleveland, Tn.
    I know the breed [​IMG] I have a tri of theese!!!! The bird is of the BBRed OEGame family, she is a pullet!!! Though she doesn't look 100% pure but close!

9. Gercarson

Gercarson Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2008
    I will venture my guess - a brown leghorn pullet!

10. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    Quote:i'll go with clawrence.. once she gets mature and her feathers/body fills out you'll be able to tell what she is.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by