Help!Ideas? 3 new chickens, one discharged yolk. UPDATE w/pics of her

thegoldengirls

Songster
10 Years
Sep 12, 2009
Central NY
Just brought new chickens home(Golden Comets). They are currently in their own coop and pen away from the ones we already had.
They were all laying before they were moved, and we understood that they may stop due to the stress of the move. However, we were happy to see 3 eggs yesterday.

Today we found 2 new eggs and have noticed that one of the girls keeps laying down, as if to lay.. but she is laying in different places with no results. Finally I happened to be out there when she discharged something that looks like yolk.
I know this could be anything from an undeveloped egg, to a broken egg.
I just went and checked again and she's in her nesting box singing the Egg song.

I'm going to keep an eye on her, but I'm wondering... how long before I get concerned over whether or not it's a broken egg. And, if it is, what next?

About an hour after I posted my message, she finally dropped a perfect egg. She was up an picking at feed and oyster shells with the 2 others... and I also treated them to some yogurt.
But, when I went back out, she was laying down again. As you can see in the pics, she didn't even get up when the others were scratching around her. Should I just give her more time to adjust?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom