help identify lost chic's

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by fwschrom, Jul 14, 2010.

1. fwschrom

fwschrom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    Hayden Idaho
    I got my chick order 4 weeks ago today. I ordered 47 and got 5 packing peanuts for a total of 52, and I have had no lost birds to date. I picked up 5 S/R "aracauna's" from the feed and farm they were black.
    My problem is with my chick order I had 5 Australorp's, 5 black Jersey Giant pullets and 1 Roo. For sure I have no rumpless chics so my Aracaunas are at best black Ameracauna's or just plain EE's.
    I can't tell them apart, the EE were about 5 days or a week older but size isn't helping spotting them. I think I have a couple of the Jersey's spotted by there all willow colored legs and feet and one seems to be a lot taller than the rest. There are several that have sort of white face masks but again when I counted out birds like that I didn't get a good count, if those are my Austrolorp pullets there should only be five.

Any suggestions how I sort out these three black breeds without waiting another 6-8 weeks? My black chics sort of all blended together.

I may need to separate all my black chics in a seperate pen and closely inspect their legs and the bottoms of there feet. just a guess.

Thanks.

2. akcountrygrrl

akcountrygrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2010
    Nenana, AK
    True black Ameraucanas should have a beard, muff, and pea comb with dark slate/black legs with bottoms of feet and toes white. If you have EEs, they will normally (but not always) have a pea comb, beard, and muff with willow legs (could be just about any color though). Australorps should have a single comb with black legs and pinkish-white feet bottoms and toes. Black Jersey Giants should have a single comb with black legs (hint of willow) and yellow feet bottoms.

3. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    If your australorps and giants are to standard then you can sort by skin color. Australorps have white skin and Giant yellow.

Matt

4. fwschrom

Jun 20, 2010
    Hayden Idaho
    thanks on the skin color tip, still leaves my mystery EE/canaus to sort out. only reason I bought them is they were cheap and I wanted to make sure my brood setup was right before I got my large chic order.

5. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    The EE's should have poofs under their chins and little nearly-flat combs. Do you know what a pea comb looks like?

6. fwschrom

Jun 20, 2010
    Hayden Idaho
    Pea comb should look like my Brahma's comb, which right now is just about nothing. I looked at combs this morning there isn't much to tell yet. I did notice that some have sort of a white death mask ( I think Australorp), and some have just a whiite spash at the throat ( which seems to be changing and getting smaller, it started as a mask ( Jersey Giants? )

I did look for beards or muffs this morning. Maybe I saw something, it might be a little early for that.

7. Smoky73

Smoky73 Lyon Master

Feb 8, 2007
    Colorado
    Quote:your "Araucanas" you got from the feed store are hatchery birds and will not be rumpless. They will be EE's.

8. fwschrom

Jun 20, 2010
    Hayden Idaho
    They will be EE's

I figured that from the get go, really I don't care if I have a couple of EE hens I am just looking to cull out the Roo's and sell them.​

9. fwschrom

Jun 20, 2010
    Hayden Idaho
  10. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    Quote:Ameraucanas are not meat birds. I don't know why the chicken breed list says ameraucanas are meat birds. That is a mistake. They might be classed as a dual purpose, but I doubt many ameraucana breeders would eat unwanted cockerels. I'm pretty sure your chicks from the feed store are not ameraucanas. Feed stores carry Easter Eggers and call them araucana/ameraucana, but they're not. EE's are not meat birds either, and if they're females, you should get blue/green eggs, but they can possibly lay other colors as well. That's why they call them Easter Egg chickens. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by