1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help identify mystery chicks! RIR or sex links?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by lacy111693, Jul 7, 2016.

1. lacy111693

lacy111693 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 24, 2016
    Hey! So I had an order of 9 chicks from Ideal Poultry. They had a really rough and crazy journey thanks to USPS error and none of them survived. Ideal sent me new chicks and added in 4 extras. I knew they occasionally throw in extra cockerels for added heat if necessary but that seems kinda silly in the middle of summer in Texas. So maybe they just did it to make up for the first batch not surviving? Anyways, I'm not sure what these chicks are. I thought RIR (I've never had them before so I don't really know what they look like) and someone else said maybe red sex links. Opinions? Other breeds they might be? TIA
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    If they were free extra chick, they are most likely Rhode Island Red cockerels.

3. lacy111693

Jan 24, 2016
    That's what I was afraid of!!! What am I supposed to do with FOUR roosters :'(

4. Gray Farms

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    They make great fryers at about 3.5 months.

5. lacy111693

Jan 24, 2016
    I'm too much of a wimp lol. Although I suppose raising them and killing them myself is probably better than trying to give them away where I live. I live close to a city that is not the nicest of cities and I know there are a lot of reports of dog fighting. So I'm sure there is cock fighting as well. A quick death would be better than getting thrown into that for sure.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2016
  6. Gray Farms

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    True. And no store bought chicken compares with home raised. Just don't name them and try not to get attached to them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by