HELP IDENTIFY Poop question Intestinal Shedding or Coccidiosis? She acts otherwise normal but this morning the poop scared me...

Apr 25, 2022
I went out to clean and feed the flock this morning like every other morning. Everyone looking happy and healthy until one of my hens started to poop. Several others chased behind her to eat the poop almost trying to get it as it was coming out. Then I saw red drop. I didn't get a chance to see that poop because they ate it. I scooped up the hen and brought her inside, gave her an epsom salt bath and checked her over. Her weight is fine, her feathers good. No sign of mites. First I thought worms? I have not identified any strange wormy looking poop in the yard or coop lately. I have her isolated in the house. She is drying off and looks fluffy, talks to me like always, not lethargic, eating the yogurt and grated carrot, and drinking the garlic water I gave her. Then she finally pooped. It is smaller than the one she dropped in the yard I think. It all happened so fast to me it looked like she was dripping blood from her vent. But her vent looks healthy and normal. No pink in the bath water, just a few tiny pieces of red material that sunk to the bottom. I attached a photo of it that I scooped up with some tissue. I have never seen this before and it was scary. Please help me identify? Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• 20221220_090450.jpg
    20221220_090450.jpg
    255 KB · Views: 59
I would say maybe Coccidiosis. I had the same thing so i treated them with a direct Corid dose for about 5 days (Corid can be found at TSC or Amazon)

It seemed to go away eventually though it took a bit of trying, mine didn’t have symptoms either, but chickens mask it very well. If they ate the poop and it was Coccidiosis, chances are your entire flock has it.

How old is your chicken that passed the blood in her stools? If she is young under 12 weeks, the most common cause would be coccidiosis. Only a couple of strains cause blood though. Worms and eggs are seldon seen in poop without looking under a microscope. Chickens can eat things they find lying around which could cause bleeding in the GI tract. Glass, screws, or other objects are ones that may cause bleeding. Is there anything like that around? I would separate her in a wire dog crate with food and water for a day or so, but try to keep it in with her flock. That way you can observe what her poops are looking like. You could start Corid in her water, 2 tsp of the liquid or 1 1/2 tsp of the powder per gallon of water for 5-7 days to treat for possible coccidiosis. Worming with Valbazen or SafeGuard Liquid Goat Wormer or horse paste at the same time could be done. I would stop any foods except her usual balanced feed and perhaps a little egg and yogurt. You can add a little water to feed to make an oatmeal consistency which some like.

She is approx 16 to 18 months old. I brought her in so I can continue to examine her poop. She did another one and it was normal. She is eating layer pellets and her yogurt with carrot shred in it, and drinking her garlic water normally. There is nothing in their chicken yard that would be nails or anything like that. I am not sure I am comfortable treating her with anything without knowing what it is. I read that if you treat for it and it isn't Coccidiosis it can kill the trace bacteria already in their system and make them suseptible to it going further. I sent the picture to our country vet from church and she got back to me saying if it was one hen one time she is not so concerned. So I am keeping her in and if I see it again to let her know. I love this site and you all who take the time to share what you know so freely. Thank you so much!

I would not be concerned if it looked more like intestinal shed which appears more orangey like tomato. But this was frank blood. Many vets will perform a fecal float, to look for worms and coccidiosis. My vet will as a favor, but most won’t unless you bring in the patient. One might if you are there with another pet. Corid really is very safe, or it would not be used on baby chicks. As far as the bowel bacteria, Corid is not an antibiotic as some other treatments are. It works by mimicking thiamine, which kills the coccidia oocysts. A chicken with coccidiosis usually develops lethargy, weakness, stops eating, and will appear hunched or puffed up with the neck drawn in. It is good that she has stopped having blood, so let us know how she gets along.

She appears quite normal. I have cleaned three poops now out of her cage and all normal. Thank God! She has her tail up, eating and drinking normal. Talking to me like she always does. If she wasn't still drying from her epsom salt bath and it wasn't 28 degrees outside I would consider bringing her back to the flock, but I think she is in the indoor spa for the night. I don't want a chickensickle in the am. Today was panic enough for me. :) Thank you so much. I will update.

Interesting update to my hen with the blood in her poop. The original poop I saw come out that the other hens ate as she was running away from them, looked like blood. It could have been stringy poo with blood in it. Either way, it happened too fast and was horrifying. After her isolation in with me at the chicken spa and her epsom salt bath she was acting very normal. I used a hairdryer on lowest setting blowing only in the direction her feathers go and six inches away so I could get her back with the flock in case she wanted to lay.

I went out to feed and let the flock out into the yard this morning, poo pick up, etc. Everything and the whole flock looked happy and normal. Then I came back a little while later to throw scratch because it is cold and pick up eggs. I found this blood smeared egg. I sent the picture to my country vet who helped me yesterday and she asked if the egg was larger than usual. It was.

The conclusion is, yesterday she was likely becoming egg bound and straining, hence the initial blood when a blood vessel burst in the yard. After the epsom salt/garlic essential oil bath it soothed her and today she was able to pass the egg. The blood smear on the egg is the result of the blood vessel once again. No further issues. I wanted to post this in case someone else has the same issue. I am so thankful that this worked out the way it did. God Bless you and your flocks.

Attachments

• Resized_Resized_20221221_113025001.jpeg
    Resized_Resized_20221221_113025001.jpeg
    509.5 KB · Views: 18

Back
Top Bottom