Help identify - Post Mortem 1 year old Ameraucana ***GRAPHIC PICS

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by BristolChick, Mar 22, 2013.

1. BristolChick

BristolChick New Egg

Oct 23, 2012
    Bristol, Quebec, Canada
    My 1 year old Ameraucana, Licorice, died yesterday. She had diarrhea for the past week and was emaciated. We brought her in for the past 3 days because she was acting lethargic and she was eating and drinking until yesterday morning when she dropped dead in her crate. I opened her up to see if I could figure out what happened...here are the pics...any ideas....looks like a lot of things are messed up. Poor girl. Our other chickens seem healthy except for her sister who also has diarrhea right now but is still really active and laying.

She had no nasal discharge but when I cut open her beak there was thicker clear mucous. Her trachea looked fine as far as I could tell. She obviously had no fat on her. Her liver was enlarged on one side and covered in fatty tissue. There was some mucous with some yellow colouring inside of her. Her gizzard looked fine. Her crop contained grains and was very wet but didn't smell sour. I gave her some water with a syringe about an hour before she died so maybe that's what was wetting her crop? Her lungs looked bubblegum pink. Her intestines looked awful...blue colour and covered with lesions and filled with greenish liquid...very putrid! I couldn't find any lice or mites on her. She was molting at the time.

1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)

Ameraucana/Easter Egger mix, born April 26th 2012, very thin!!!

2) What is the behavior, exactly.

standing by herself, lethargic, weak

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?

1 week before she died

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?

her sister has diarrhea, her pen mate looks ruffled and off

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.

no

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.

???
    7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.

Homestead Organics Layer mash, oyster shells, fresh water, scratch, household scraps (oranges, apples, noodles etc.)

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.

runny, yellowish/green tuned to clear with white

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?

electrolytes, brought her in the house, fed her yogurt

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use

shavings on the floor, straw in the nesting boxes, sand and straw in the outdoor run.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Sorry for your loss and thanks for sharing.

You could try contacting an avian pathologist at UC Davis.
    http://www.cahfs.ucdavis.edu/

Just for grins, I'll look at the pictures in AAAP Avian Disease Manual.

3. BristolChick

BristolChick New Egg

Oct 23, 2012
    Bristol, Quebec, Canada
    thanks. I've been looking at pictures all day and so far nothing seems to look similar. I sent the images to our local vet so hopefully she will respond soon.

4. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    And welcome to BYC!,

5. BristolChick

BristolChick New Egg

Oct 23, 2012
    Bristol, Quebec, Canada
    I just heard back from our vet and she said looks like Avian TB :(

6. BristolChick

BristolChick New Egg

Oct 23, 2012
    Bristol, Quebec, Canada
    Does anyone know if we are still able to eat the eggs? We are now considering all of our birds as infected and will keep them isolated but would still like to eat their eggs as long as it poses no risk to our health.

7. dagdanat

dagdanat New Egg

Jun 30, 2014
    What did your chicken end up having? Mine has similar symptoms.

8. BristolChick

BristolChick New Egg

Oct 23, 2012
    Bristol, Quebec, Canada
    Avian TB. A couple more of our hens died soon after but the survivors are all still alive and laying and reproducing and super healthy :)

9. ernie85017

ernie85017 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2012
    Great job with the necropsy and photos, even if it is a sad occasion. I need to research avian TB now. The intestines and the lesions on them look awful.
    The organ with the cauliflower-like white on it. What organ is that? When I did a necropsy on one of my grls, she had a large lesion like the cauliflower one your girl has.
    Sorry you lost her. You were brave to look inside to check her out. She was probably sick for a good long while before she died, since she is so very thin.

10. BristolChick

BristolChick New Egg

Oct 23, 2012
    Bristol, Quebec, Canada
    I think that organ is the liver but I can't remember for sure. She was so skinny and we separated her and tried to fatten her up but nothing would have saved her. We put her sister down once she started showing signs instead of letting her waste away. I'm glad we haven't had to deal with anything like that since. I was told that it is found in the soil and brought in by wild birds or rodents. Instead of killing the whole flock we decided to wait and I think 3 ended up having it and the rest all survived. An older farmer told me the ones that survived and reproduce will produce offspring that will be more immune to whatever is found in our area. So far it seems true because it's been 2 years and most of the girls are still with us and raising their own chicks and grandchicks :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by