HELP IDENTIFY PRINTS WHERE DEAD CHICKEN FOUND!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by jaydemorgan87, Dec 14, 2012.

1. jaydemorgan87

jaydemorgan87 Out Of The Brooder

May 30, 2012
    Sarasota, FL
    These prints were found by my dead chicken looks like 2 different prints. Does anyone know what animal they belong too? Please help! Just want to be positive of what it is before I try to trap it. I think its eaither a racoon, dog, or fox! What do u think? Thank you to all...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. TheSpiceGirls

TheSpiceGirls Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2010
    Bay Area, CA
    Hmmm, that top photo is tough but the second one sure looks like raccoon to me w/ those long slender fingers.

I've been finding raccoon scat around my property lately. Much more than usual. I think the critters are hungry and it's cold out. I know the hawks have been way more active hunting too.

3. ReikiStar

ReikiStar Chillin' With My Peeps

I would say raccoon by the second photo's print and the fact that you found the carcass in water. Raccoons are OCD about washing their food.

And I'm sorry about your chicken. [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 14, 2012
  4. klt1975

klt1975 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 24, 2012
    I'm so sorry about your hens.

I can't really make out the 1st print but the 2nd looks like a possum or racoon to me.

5. joesmania

joesmania Out Of The Brooder

Dec 8, 2012
    Deleted by me ....

Last edited: Dec 16, 2012
  6. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Print one is a dog, two looks more like a raccoon - maybe coming in to grab a carcass.

7. joesmania

joesmania Out Of The Brooder

Dec 8, 2012
    I thought print one was a close-up of print 2 .... the one to the left? No?

8. jaydemorgan87

May 30, 2012
    Sarasota, FL
    yes print one is a close up of the print to the left in the 2nd photo.. It looked different then the other one to the right. They were right next to each other. I thought this was weird. It looks like a dog and then a coon. It is just so strange!

Armadillos in Florida are blind as a bat, and eat fruit and grubs n stuff. They are not mean at all. They get scared very easily by the slightest sound and take off running fast. Thats what an Armadillo is like! :)

Thank you to everyone taking their time to look at my pictures and help me solve the problem your advice is wonderfull to get, and much appreciated.

9. jaydemorgan87

May 30, 2012
    Sarasota, FL
    If I catch the Culprit I will post photos of him on here!

10. 4stakes

4stakes Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2012
    Baileyville, IL
    I would say a raccoon. Use marshmallow's or something sweet for bait. If no cats around use fish, cat food, or dog food. I would shoot it otherwise take it far away before letting it loose again or it might be back in a few nites and be hard to get in trap again. Be careful on game laws on trapping and relocating?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by