1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help! Identify the Cockerels *ANOTHER NEW PICTURE*

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by latebloomer, Jul 15, 2011.

1. latebloomer

latebloomer Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2011
    green mountain state
    sounded like a teenager whose voice was changing.

seriously though, i live pretty close to my neighbors and want to keep them happy, so i'm planning to send up the obvious males to be "processed" next week up the hill.

here are the particulars: they're bbs orpingtons, they're 14 weeks old, i really like them.

okay there are three suspected roosters, (two of them are darker blues, one is a splash

here's a collage:
    [​IMG]

your thoughts and input is appreciated. please let me know if you need better pictures. i'll try to get them over the weekend.

thanks for your help

Last edited: Jul 16, 2011
  2. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    I think all 3 are POSSIBLY cockerals, but orpingtons have always been hard for me to sex. Some shots looking down on their backs would really help. My buff orpington girls had rather sizable combs and wattles, it was easier for me to weed out the roosters by looking at their saddle and hackle feathers. Good luck!

Last edited: Jul 15, 2011
  3. latebloomer

Feb 10, 2011
    green mountain state
    thanks, i'll try to add those pictures, would hate to get rid of some fine ladies!

4. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:Side shots of the whole body would be great-close enough for us to see hackle or saddle feathers

5. Hollywood Chickens

Hollywood Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Florida
    yeah full body shots would help.

6. latebloomer

Feb 10, 2011
    green mountain state
    okay, i've replaced the photos i originally posted with ones i hope are better.

what i haven't said is there is one other fellow that i clearly a rooster, who i'm trying to keep, his wattles and comb are far more developed than on these three.

will try to get a good picture of him to compare, they were all born out of the same hatch.

7. happycountryhens

happycountryhens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2010
    Central NY
    My best guess is the darkest and lightest ones are cockrels and the medium one is a pullet.

Bear in mind that this is a guess as I am not an Orpington expert.[​IMG]

8. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    last photo on bottom right-black is a ROO and splash is a ROO the blue one Im on the fence but If I had to guess pullet from the looks of the feathers-no saddle feathers from what I can see...

9. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    Quote:x2

10. loot4louie

loot4louie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2010
    Ringoes NJ
    Im guessing mid colored blue is pullet. Splash and darker blue appear to have saddle feathers. Maybe you could put off processing a few more weeks? Maybe the crow you heard was from your obvious roo? Good Luck!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by