Help identify this chick, Dad is a turken

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by gritsar, Jan 29, 2011.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    No pics yet, not wanting to disturb my broody too much.

Dad is definitely a turken. Possibilities on mom are a speckled sussex, turken, or SF.

Chick has yellow/reddish legs. Solid black on top except for a white spot on head, yellow on the bottom.

I don't think turken on turken, cuz it has a feathered neck.
    Not beard or "muff" and no feathering on legs, so not a SF?

So that leaves turken over speckled sussex? Sound about right?

I'll try to get pics tomorrow.

2. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    that'd be my guess, though it's weird that it has a feathered neck, since the naked neck gene is dominant...is it maybe just feathered in front??

3. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Speckled Sussex would carry over the dominant trait of white legs, which will show up as an almost translucent light pink color at chick age, so no, probably not a Speckled Sussex.

The color sounds to me also like the parents were Wheaten based, which Naked Necks/Turkens usually are.

4. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    I agree- I can't imagine where the yellow legs came from if not from the Turken x Turken...which doesn't sound right, either! Did someone sneak a date off-campus?

5. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Anything's possible on this funny farm, believe me. [​IMG]
    I'll get a better look at it tomorrow when mama is wanting out. I'm almost certain it's neck is 100% feathered. It could be from these two: Dad, the turken

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Mom? would be a black turken, with green/slate colored legs. She has a heavy bowtie:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

One thing I know for sure is that my other roo is not the "baby daddy". He's a LF brahma and his chicks have heavy foot feathering, as he did as a chick.

6. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Ah! I know your dilemma. . .

The mom is indeed a "Turken". The reason the chick doesn't have a naked neck is because technically both parents are just mutts with the dominant naked necked gene, but they're heterozygous for it, so both passed on and you received the chance of getting a chick with no naked necked genes.

I know this because your rooster has a large "bowtie" of feathers on his neck, signifying he's only half naked neck, same with the hen - Plus the hen's color is not a recognized Turken/Naked Neck breed color. [​IMG]

So, those are indeed the parents. [​IMG]

7. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Thanks. I'm glad to hear it because Ivy, the black one, is my favorite of the pullets. Need to get some new pics of the parents. They've both grown so much.
    Given that Dad, the roo (cockerel really), is turning out to be an excellent young bird temperment wise, I'm very glad it's those two. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 29, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by