Help identify this chick

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by kat w, Nov 5, 2011.

1. kat w

kat w Out Of The Brooder

Nov 3, 2011
    Got 3 chicks from a feed store that had several breeds in one tub. The girls had no clue how to differentiate -- according to the labels, it should be a SLW, another wyandotte (I'm thinking GLW), or a silver leghorn. I thought it was the leghorn b/c of its yellowish chest and that it doesn't look like a SLW or a GLW. However, at 3-4 weeks, she is feathering out with black chest feathers with a few white speckles on her lower chest. Mostly black underbelly, black back, black feathers with white tips. Legs are turning a dark color (the SLW's legs is definitely turning yellowish). I thought leghorns had yellow legs. Now I'm not sure what she is. I could wait until she's more grown to get a better idea, but I'm not very patient. I want to know! If possible that is....hope one of you can help me and save me from looking through even more pics to see if she matches one. These are pictures of when I first got her, I think she's around 1-2 weeks. (the chick in question is the one in the forefront in both pics)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. kari_dawn

kari_dawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    looks like maybe an australorp or a jersey giant?...wait, does it have puffy cheeks?

Last edited: Nov 5, 2011
  3. jeslewmazer

jeslewmazer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2009
    Mississippi
    Quote:Could be. There are so many chicken breeds that start off looking like that. Could be black, mottled, of maybe even barred. I hope you keep us updated. [​IMG]

4. kat w

kat w Out Of The Brooder

Nov 3, 2011
    I didn't consider australorp or giant. It might be the australorp I think since I saw some day old chick pictures with yellow on their bellies....but still not sure. But I think I can cross out silver leghorn.....it doesn't really matter. I just have a thing where I "have to know just to know" [​IMG] (and no, no puffy cheeks, though EE would have been nice to have!)

5. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    Australorps have black legs....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

a couple shots of my roos from last year...so I would say no to that breed...I am not familiar with the other breeds to help

6. moodlymoo

moodlymoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2011
    Portland OR
    The one looking at the camera in the first pic is a slw for sure!

7. sweetsugar2242

sweetsugar2242 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 4, 2011
    Dickson
    much too young to tell! WELCOME TO THE FORUM!!

8. kat w

kat w Out Of The Brooder

Nov 3, 2011
    Updated pics of her now. I am resigning myself to the fact that I will just have to be patient and wait and see^^

sweetsugar2242 -- I laughed at your comment about bird being too young to tell!! That sounds very true.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hm...looking at these photos, she looks far less black than she appears to me in real life. She seems mostly black, and her pink feet are darkening up. Looking at all the white, she looks less like a australorp or a giant to me. Could she be a silver leghorn then?

9. mama24

mama24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    GSO, NC
    Definitely not a silver bird of any breed. Silver looks nothing like that. I think she is a silver laced Wyandotte. [​IMG]

10. BlazeJester

BlazeJester Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Midway, GA
    She looks an awful lot like my australorp girls, particularly the pic of her as a chick. Photos I've seen of SLW (not had the pleasure in person though they're GORGEOUS birds) have far more exaggerated color differences and distinct edges to the markings. My australorps "came with" black legs but you never know what you'll get from a hatchery and your chick's legs seems to have darkened up.

My australorps had white in their wings through their current "neverending juvenile molt" and are now jet black everywhere. It would be an australorp rather than JG because of the pink rather than yellow legs.

Edited for clarification

Last edited: Nov 6, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by