Help Identify this Cool Looking Duck :)

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Alchemic_Duck, Jun 28, 2011.

1. Alchemic_Duck

Alchemic_Duck New Egg

Jun 28, 2011
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nROR5QmZb_I&feature=player_embedded

Captured
    this beautiful bird today and I cant seem to find too much info on its type.

I did some research it looks like a "crest" type however those don't seem to be native to Northern California (Wiki says South America)

The location is San Francisco, CA.

Could it be migrating from the south or is a pet duck that is now living at the park?

Many thanks for all your help!
    [​IMG]

2. Alicia G

Alicia G Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2010
    Nova Scotia
    Judging by the color shape and size I'd say they are Cayuga/ Crested Pekin (or white crested ducks).The yellow beaks along with the fact that the crested one has white (though older Cayuga can develop white feathers) Points towards the crested pekin. Both are domestic breeds so these guys probably someones pet at one time.

3. Boggy Bottom Bantams

Boggy Bottom Bantams Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Hahira, GA
    pair of cross breeds from some ones backyard is all that is

4. mandelyn

mandelyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2009
    Goshen, OH
    Wild Dumpling ducks... that someone deposited there.

5. Alchemic_Duck

Alchemic_Duck New Egg

Jun 28, 2011
    Thank you for your responses, it definitely looks like a cross between a Cayuga and Crest.

San Francisco is so fast moving, I wonder how many people out here have pet ducks.

Is there an easy way to tell which one is male or female? I would guess the black and white one is a male as it tended to lead the way as I watched it.

Also the beak on the white one had a black outline and the beak itself looks grey.

I will go back to same spot and try and find ducklings, i cant wait to see little ducks with that crest on them.

6. mandelyn

mandelyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2009
    Goshen, OH
    The girl will quack-quack and the boy will rasp-rasp (think of that raspy tone donald duck has when he talks) [​IMG]

Might be two boys someone didn't want as well, ducks never go solitary, and often times males will pal around together with the absence of females to mate up with. Or two girls. Voices will let you know.

7. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    The male will have a small curly feather at the end of the tail. This is called a drake feather. Is that one I see on the black duck?

8. lovin my birds

lovin my birds Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Odessa, MO
    They both look like males. If you look at the base of the tale you can see that both of them have a tale feather that is starting to curl. Someone had to many drakes so decided to drop them off. Or they could be an easter drop of. They arent very old since the drake feather is not really pronounced. Sad that people would drop such beautiful ducks. The black one is a cayuga, the other one could possibly a VERY pore colored swedish. But I have never had swedish so Idk much on them.

9. Boggy Bottom Bantams

Boggy Bottom Bantams Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Hahira, GA
    both are drakes, see that bright yellow bill, hens, unless white will not have yellow bills in domestic ducks
    this never changes, the drake tail will molt so from time to time you wont have them to check by, but that bill will remain constant.

While I agree the solid one has cayuga in it, it is by no means a cayuga, it's a mix too, go back to the above statement, yellow bill? cayugas dont have yellow bills, at least 100% ones dont, will be black to blue green.
    got a couple mixed up spare drakes. Also cayugas dont fly, so unless they walked up or got dumped, that would rule them out there too.

10. Alchemic_Duck

Alchemic_Duck New Egg

Jun 28, 2011
    well sounds like these ducks will have a nice time at the park, since they come from some ones home

The sight of hawks flying over their head was daunting, hopefully that wont interfere with their fun

Thanks for explaining the gender difference and the part about them traveling in pairs, very interesting!
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by