1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help identify this first egg - scratch SF off the list!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by gritsar, Nov 21, 2010.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I have a first? egg from another one of my pullets. The pullets are 23 weeks old.

I know it's not from my meaties pullets (not large enough or brown enough).

I don't think it's from my salmon faverolles, but could be.

The other candidates are:

speckled sussex, turken, or silkie (the silkies genders are still in question, but I believe at least one to be a pullet).

Sorry for the poor clarity on the pic. It's 2 1/4" long, with a very light tint:

[​IMG]

Egg identification was alot easier when all I had was brahmas.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2010
  2. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

My DH who is ever helpful and smart [​IMG] wants me to let you know it is a Chicken egg. [​IMG]

Told you he was smart. [​IMG]

I have no idea - but think it is too big for a silkie egg, but have no idea actually cause I have no silkies.

3. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:[​IMG] DH for me, 'k?

I thought it was too big for a silkie egg too. [​IMG]

4. Chickie'sMoma

Chickie'sMoma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Rochester, NH
    what color are your faverolles earlobes? if they are white it could be she is laying a very pale colored egg. it is an issue coming up in the favs that the eggs should be darker than tinted 'pink' that everyone thinks they lay. they should be laying a light brown. fav eggs will start out small and as the bird ages get to a med/lg size.

i thought silkies laid a yellowish white egg? but i don't have those and wouldn't know from experience

5. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

I will give him a double [​IMG] [​IMG]

My bantam cochins and rosecombs all have tiny eggs - but ironically my "large fowl" cochins lay the exact same sized egg as the bantam cochins. [​IMG]

6. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    I am 90% sure that came from a Silkie.

7. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I've never seen a Silkie egg. It look pretty much like my SS eggs did when they started.

8. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Chickie'sMoma :

what color are your faverolles earlobes? if they are white it could be she is laying a very pale colored egg. it is an issue coming up in the favs that the eggs should be darker than tinted 'pink' that everyone thinks they lay. they should be laying a light brown. fav eggs will start out small and as the bird ages get to a med/lg size.

i thought silkies laid a yellowish white egg? but i don't have those and wouldn't know from experience

You know, I'll have to go out and check, because I can't remember what color earlobes the SFs have. The thing is, I'm almost 100% positive that it was a SF that left a pink egg (a little larger than the one in the pic) the other day.​

9. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:I considered that too, but OMG! My silkies are very small. If one of them laid that egg, I'd expect to see a bowlegged silkie walking around. [​IMG]

10. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I checked the SFs earlobes, after I combed through their heavy muffs. They have pink/red earlobes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by