Help identify this.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by banda789, Aug 28, 2010.

1. banda789

banda789 New Egg

Aug 28, 2010
    Hi new to the site but looking for some help.

I have a sick chicken, she is under the care of a vet who has given 2 antibiotic injections, her symptoms are she is lethargic, not really eating, drinking very little and doing poo that looks like slightly beaten egg.

I don't know if its related but when i cleaned out my chickens, which i do once a week (yesterday) i found this strange pink thing (pics to follow), it was in amongst the shavings and poop on the floor.

I took my hen to the vet today and took this strange thing with me. The vet had know idea what it was and cut it open, the only way to describe it is it has chambers inside i couldn't get that close but my sister in law, who did dissection at school said it was similar in look to the inside if a heart.

so if anyone has any ideas what this thing is and if its related to my poorly hen please let me know.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

the shavings stuck to it are from the coop floor and i think the black is poop. i know it is not food that anyone has given them and they have taken into the house because they don't do that, and i haven't got a rooster if that is any help.

2. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    I'm sorry i have no idea what that is. I would be fascinated to find out.

But just the same, Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

3. dmdhart

dmdhart Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2009
    Millwood, VA
    That is the oddest looking thing. What is the texture of it? soft or hard?
    I hope that your hen improves. I would start giving her poly-vi-sol (infant vitamins without iron). You might want to give her yogurt to ward off yeast infections as well. I often give my chickens electrolytes (you can get them at any feed store) and mix them in with either her water or make a gruel for her. Scrambled eggs are a good treat to give as well. It's very nutritious and they usually like it.
    Keep us posted.

4. turtlebird

turtlebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2009
    Have you stumbled upon any reading re: internal layers? Sometimes they can expel some pretty weird stuff, and usually don't do so well....peritonitis, etc. Do a search and see if you have a match. Good luck with the lil' lady.

5. mrslb333

mrslb333 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    [​IMG] [​IMG] How odd!!! Could it have come from another animal? Or been something she's eaten? [​IMG] How old is the hen? [​IMG]

6. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

Sounds like she may be a internal layer or have egg periontis (sp) . That may be a foreign matter that built up layers inside one of the ducts until it came loose.

7. aveca

aveca Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Waverly, NY
    That really is strange, you might put on the surgical gloves and cut it open and see what the middle might look like. Somone on one of the british chat sites had same thing they never did really decide what it was but thought it might be a tumor

If I had to take a wild guess, I would say a shed ovarian tumor. or ovarian cyst. Just speculation and guessing but
    Might just be a begnin cyst or irritation she needed to get rid of and the body shed it.

and yep Chickens do get ovary cysts and tumors . below is an excerpt from science journal

"The chicken is the only animal that spontaneously develops ovarian cancer on the surface of the ovaries like humans," Bahr said. "In this study, we evaluated how a flaxseed-enriched diet affected 2-year-old laying hens (hens that have ovulated as many times as a woman entering menopause)."

The results showed that hens fed a flaxseed-enriched diet for one year experienced a significant reduction in late-stage ovarian tumors.

Chemical Foreign Estrogens (Xenoestrogens)

Around the world, there are approximately 100,000 different synthetic chemicals on the market. Some of them mimic estrogen in the human body. One classic estrogen mimic is DDT. In 1950, two Syracuse University biologists, in an experiment, gave injections of DDT to baby roosters. The roosters grew up looking like hens. Unfortunately, the U.S. still produces 96 tons of DDT a year (in 1991) and exports it to third world countries. Then we consume DDT on imported produce. DDT is stored in the fat, notably the breast fat. The breast fat may concentrate a form of DDT (DDE) up to 700 times than that of the blood. Blood levels of a form of DDT can typically be measured in the blood at several parts to tens of parts per billion.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2010
  8. dmdhart

dmdhart Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2009
    Millwood, VA
    That is so scary and one reason I only drink Kona coffee.

9. turtlebird

turtlebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2009
    Quote:[​IMG]
    I did NOT know that....aaaargh. One more reason to eat locally and seasonally......
    Really? Are we that irresponsible that we are still producing DDT?
    Banda789, is your hen any better since expelling that mystery blob?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by