help identifying birds prior to purchase...

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by PfeifferFeather, Oct 9, 2013.

1. PfeifferFeather

PfeifferFeather Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2013
    Help, I need help with id ing gender... have only 1 pic from the owner , can you make a best guess from that? Any and all help will be appreciated !
    [​IMG]

2. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    Those are Easter Eggers, and the ones I can tell for sure--the three in the foreground, one facing away, two white/black headed ones facing left and right--are female.

The white one is probably female, and the one in the way back looks female, too.

3. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    X2 the ones you can see clearly look like girls. Do you know how old they are?

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    They look like Easter egger hens from what I can see.

5. PfeifferFeather

Jul 23, 2013
    They are reported to be about 5 months.

6. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    All of them are Easter Eggers, and I think that they are all hens.

7. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    I'd believe that. They look like a nice group of girls if you're thinking about buying, and should begin laying in a month or so (with supplementary light, otherwise they may wait until spring). But don't let the owner tell you they're Ameraucanas or make you pay Ameraucana prices!

8. PfeifferFeather

Jul 23, 2013
    If they are EEs what would be a good price ? (ballpark) And , Thanks for all your help!

9. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Price really depends on where you live. You might check Craigslist and see if anyone has pullets similar to these for sale. These usually go for about the same price as hatchery type layers, sex links / white leghorns etc. They don't fall into the exotic category as WalkingOnSunshine said because they are EEs not Ameraucana, but they do go for more than backyard laying hens because of the colored (hopefully eggs). In our area right now year old or under layer type pullets are going for for $9-$15, this price will be going down because it is fall and not spring.

10. PfeifferFeather

Jul 23, 2013
    we are in CNY and it seems like a good deal , compared to other things I've seen , they appear to be very healthy from the pic ...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by