Help identifying Breed

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by FrzzlsnFthrs, Feb 26, 2017.

1. FrzzlsnFthrs

FrzzlsnFthrs New Egg

Feb 26, 2017
    Southern Illinois
    Hi! I am new to BYC, and I am needing help identifying the breed of chickens that was sent to me by Ideal when I ordered Bantam Cochins back in the fall. These were the extras to keep them warm. I am pretty sure they all were cockerels except for 1 that may be a pullet. They are about 15 weeks old now, but I cannot keep all the boys....but I have no idea what to tell someone that they are. I honestly don't think they are Rhode Island Reds. They seem different. But, they are all red with yellow legs. Thanks in advance! : )

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. elizabethjg

elizabethjg Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2016
    Texas
    They are New Hampshire reds.

3. FrzzlsnFthrs

FrzzlsnFthrs New Egg

Feb 26, 2017
    Southern Illinois
    Thank you so much! I do think you are correct. I googled them, and you are right. They seem much more like a New Hampshire than a Rhode Island. I'm still not sure how many are going to be hens, and how many will be roosters. I feel like I should be able to tell by now....I guess time will tell. Thanks again!

4. Cel45

Cel45 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2015
    Houston, Tx
    Production Reds, I have two from Ideal.

5. FrzzlsnFthrs

FrzzlsnFthrs New Egg

Feb 26, 2017
    Southern Illinois
    Maybe, but I have a Production Red, and they really don't seem to be the same. I could be wrong though. Thanks for your input though. I really appreciate it! : )

6. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Probably Production Reds. Production Reds can vary in appearance depending on their source; basically, they're red birds, often with Rhode Island Red and New Hampshire in their background, that are generally great brown egg layers.

7. FrzzlsnFthrs

FrzzlsnFthrs New Egg

Feb 26, 2017
    Southern Illinois
    Thanks so much. You could be right. All the reds seem so similar, it's hard to tell the difference.

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Hope you'll have some pullets [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by