Help identifying breeds?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Minnowey, Jan 13, 2017.

1. Minnowey

Minnowey Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2016
    Northwest Oregon
    Splash was sold to me back in February 2016 at an annual chick sale. She was advertised as a marans chick. I think the[​IMG]

fact that she has five toes maybe threw the sellers off? To me she looks a lot like an Amber White. I'd be grateful for a second opinion. Also, I'm not sure if you can see it in the pictures because I didn't get the splashy side of her face, but she does have multiple spots of black on her body.
    Thanks in advance- Minnowey
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    She's got to be a mixed breed. Nothing fits the five toes, clean legs, pink skin and that color.

Mixed of what is hard to say. Likely a mix of mixes. I think all the five toed breeds have feathered legs except the Dorking, and she doesn't look like one of those at all. So, mixed enough to lose the dominance of the feathered legs, but keep the five toes. Five toes and white skin could be Faverolles, but she's lost the other features like beard and feathered legs, and the Faverolles body shape. Marans is another possibility with the white skin, but doesn't explain the five toes or that odd coloring.

Is she laying? What color eggs?

1 person likes this.
  3. Minnowey

Minnowey Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2016
    Northwest Oregon
    she is laying. she started at four months and has laid small, creamy eggs all through the winter.

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    So probably no Marans in there. I'd just call her a pretty Barnyard Mix.

5. UberchicRanch

UberchicRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2015
    New England
    Hard to say. It is carrying the blue gene. Looks like it could have Leghorn traits.

1 person likes this.
  6. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Agreed

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    agree with donrae

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by