HELP identifying chick breeds!!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by grimes1213, Mar 25, 2017.

1. grimes1213

grimes1213 Just Hatched

Feb 20, 2017
    Central PA
    I hatched a bunch of mutts from our own backyard flock, and I know who most everyone belongs to based on egg color they hatched from - but I am having a hard time telling between the barred rock and brahma eggs... I have these 3 almost identical chicks that hatched from brown eggs, they are steel blue grey in color, and have partially feathered feet.. the mom choices are: hatchery light brahma hen (she is not a pretty light brahma, she has much more black than she should), a blue partridge brahma hen, or barred rock hens.. any thoughts?

[​IMG]

2. grimes1213

grimes1213 Just Hatched

Feb 20, 2017
    Central PA
    I am leaning towards barred rock because of the dark wash on the legs... but I can't remember if my brahmas had that when they were babies too? The rocks def don't anymore, they are yellow legged now as adults.

3. grimes1213

grimes1213 Just Hatched

Feb 20, 2017
    Central PA
    [​IMG]

This is the light brahma hen.. she's a hot mess.. her feathers always look rough.

4. grimes1213

grimes1213 Just Hatched

Feb 20, 2017
    Central PA
    [​IMG]

This is the daddy..

5. grimes1213

grimes1213 Just Hatched

Feb 20, 2017
    Central PA
    [​IMG]

These 2 came from dark brown eggs which I believe are my golden cuckoo marans eggs.. my welsummer is usually more speckly.. and they have black legs and neither the rooster nor the marans have a black leg.. weird?

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

Since the rooster has feathered legs, all his offspring should have some degree of leg feathering, so that's no help in determining who momma is.

A barred Rock and a Cuckoo Marans would both give sex linked offspring. any chicks with a white head spot will be males, from one of them. I can't see if any have head spots?

I think you may just have to wait and see how they turn out to tell who mommas are. I bred my light Brahma to a blue barred rooster last year and she gave me black barred babies--I'd expected more of her silver to carry over, but it didn't. So, you may have mixes, or they may be from the blue Brahma momma. I think it'll be interesting to see how they turn out.....one thing I love about hatching mixes is you never know what you'll get [​IMG]

7. grimes1213

grimes1213 Just Hatched

Feb 20, 2017
    Central PA
    Thanks! I don't think I see any spots on any heads, I will double check! I can't wait to see what they look like as they grow :) most of them are going to a friend so hopefully I will be able to see how they turn out! His is the whole gang:

[​IMG]

The bottom row is the three questionable brown egg hatchlings on the left and the 2 dark brown maran egg hatchlings on the right, the middle row is 3 cream leg bar egg hatchlings on the left, a single partridge rock hatchling, and 4 Easter eggers hatchlings (the mom is all black), the top row is a single welsummer egg hatchling on the left and the right is what I believe was a blue partridge brahma egg from the blue partridge hen, only because it was a brown egg but def not a barred rock, and the feathering on the feet is heavy..

Last edited: Mar 25, 2017
  8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    sorry don't have a clue at this age

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by