Help identifying ducklings

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by CaseyV, Jan 28, 2014.

1. CaseyV

CaseyV Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2013
    Mississippi
    My little girl got these ducklings at the flea market a few weeks ago. I thought they might be Mallard and Pekin but I'm not 100%. This is our first time keeping ducks.

Please and thank you.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. mrchickenpoop

mrchickenpoop Out Of The Brooder

Jul 29, 2013
    The first one looks like a pekin or a moscuvy(don't know how to spell it) and the second one is too big to be a mallard so it must be a Rouen. Hope that helps a little

3. CaseyV

Jul 11, 2013
    Mississippi
    Thank you very much. The first one is very shy but the second one lets me hold it and chirps when hungry lol.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2014
  4. mrchickenpoop

mrchickenpoop Out Of The Brooder

Jul 29, 2013
    You will notice some red stuff near and on the yellow ducks beak and face as it grows and that is totally normal look up the breeds to learn more about them

5. creaturelife

creaturelife Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2013
    i think the last one might be a goose hard to tell is its bill shorter then the other ones and the first one might be a muscovy its not a pekin

6. creaturelife

creaturelife Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2013
    i think the middle one might be a goose to but its hard to tell i dont think the last 2 are muscovy if i find a breed of duckling or goslings that look like the last 2 i ll let you know but let me know if the bill/beck is shorter on the last 2 then the first duckling

7. CaseyV

Jul 11, 2013
    Mississippi
    It's just 2, I took 2 pictures of each. I put them side by side and everything is measuring the same. Same length on bill, same on feet.

8. aprille218

aprille218 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    northern MN
    First one is not a Muscovy it might be a Welsh Harlequin but it's hard to tell until it's fully feathered. Second one I agree is a Roen. Both look healthy, congrats!

9. RouenDuck

RouenDuck Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2013
    I don't think either of them are a Welsh Harlequin or a Rouen. None of my Welsh harlequins or Rouens looked like that at any age. Your ducks might be crossbreeds.

10. CaseyV

Jul 11, 2013
    Mississippi
    Thank you very much Aprille, I have them inside my house in a brooder. My husband has a saying that very animal we get has to come in the house before going outside lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by